SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a way to tighten the steering on our cars? Maybe a closer ratio steering rack? After a full season of autox me and a few other drivers noticed the same problem I have on tight courses, too much steering input needed! The steering seems slow going through slaloms and tight corners. Anybody have any suggestions? TIA

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
765 Posts
the steering on my car feels very light and doesnt have much feedback.. it also requires alot of input to really get the car to turn so I was wondering about this too. BTW i have a '95 SER

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
try the energy steering rack bushings w/ synthetic fluid. that's what I use anyway.

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
If you think the steering is slow on an NX, you should try a 200sx. Yikes! I think someone tried using a classic rack on a 200sx a while back, no dice though.

------------------
-=Matt=- 97 SE-R 94,000smiles+, POP, custom 2.25" exhaust, ACT, Shifter, ST sways, AV22VFs (new!)

·
Registered
765 Posts
hey Brian, do ya'll have those bushings in stock? I still need to come up there to get the partial refund on the SMC shifter, so when Im in I'd like to get those bushings too.. just checkin

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Son Of Skyline asked:
Does anybody know of a way to tighten the steering on our cars?...The steering seems slow going through slaloms and tight corners.</font>
Are you sure you're not boiling your fluid? I had similar problems in my SE-R when autox'ing. There is a fix that Adam Kim posted to the SE-R mailing list about a year ago. Bascially, you want to use the PS tank from a 200sx. According to Adam, the only mod you need to make is to shorten the hose from the tank to the PS cooler as the 200sx tank is larger.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Driven97:
If you think the steering is slow on an NX, you should try a 200sx. Yikes! I think someone tried using a classic rack on a 200sx a while back, no dice though.

</font>
The B13 rack won't work on a B14? Damn, I had one cheap to try. Did it not bolt up, or was there something else?

------------------
Eric Waterman
1996 200SX SE-R
1997 200SX SE-R
1991 Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grailer:
Are you sure you're not boiling your fluid? I had similar problems in my SE-R when autox'ing. There is a fix that Adam Kim posted to the SE-R mailing list about a year ago. Bascially, you want to use the PS tank from a 200sx. According to Adam, the only mod you need to make is to shorten the hose from the tank to the PS cooler as the 200sx tank is larger.

</font>
I'm not sure if there is a problem or if its just the way the car is. Basically, it seems that I need to turn my steering wheel alot to make it go through those slalom sections. Its like in other cars I may need to crank the wheel 160 degrees, but with my car its like 190 degrees for the same section.

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
_______
2,170 Posts
I boiled my ps fluid at Shannonville (a road course!) this summer.

I'm going to be installing a ps cooler kit that Ben Rockwell and Kyle Gilliand make. Let me know if you want me to send pics once it's on (BTW, I don't have it yet).

·
Registered
708 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grailer:
Sounds almost like an alignment issue - perhaps front toe? Could be air in the PS fluid too.

</font>
That's probably it. I'll have to get it checked. I autocross a lot so it's probably that. I have a friend who is going to show me how to do it at his shop. Actually that sounds like fun

·
Registered
708 Posts
In my Classic the steering feels a little slow. I have to feed in the steering early and I had a top local driver (4x Nat Champ Solo II) and he said that the response was a bit slow compared to other SE-R's he's driven.
I have noticed lately that my steering wheel gets cocked sometimes. When I make a hard sweeping right to get on the freeway the steering wheel is cocked like I'm making a right turn and when I go left the same thing happens except towards the left.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">spnx asked:
Let me know if you want me to send pics once it's on</font>
Sure, I'd like to see it - any word on the oil cooler they were working on? For me, that's a bigger issue with oil temps cracking 260-280f on hot summer track outings.

------------------

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Trys_Hard observed:
In my Classic the steering feels a little slow... When I make a hard sweeping right to get on the freeway the steering wheel is cocked like I'm making a right turn and when I go left the same thing happens except towards the left.</font>
Sounds almost like an alignment issue - perhaps front toe? Could be air in the PS fluid too.

------------------

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bump...
Anyone have any suggestions on how to tighten up the steering on a B14? I will be changing the fluid, and doing the lock to lock thing, anything else i could do? I don't like the loose feeling very much, even my mom's sunfire feels better than the 200...

·
Registered
162 Posts
You could tighten up steering feel by getting the ES steering rack bushings. By taking out some flex from the rack your car will react quicker to input. Also try a smaller steering wheel. The erst is up to the car's design. I also agree that the steering in our cars (B13) could be a little quicker. Then again, I used to have a Miata...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts