SR20 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting on the highway last night after retrieving my car from storage I had it in while I was on vacation, and the weirdest thing happened....I went to merge on the highway, had it in 2nd and floored it. The next thing I know, the revs shot up to 8 grand suddenly, throwing me forward in the seat like I had just hit the brakes! I ended up backing out of it immediately and just shifted to fourth and kept driving(I didn't have a choice-traffic was too thick). I don't think I damaged anything in my motor, but what the hell caused that situation in the first place??? I figured it was the clutch slipping at high revs, but I could be wrong. It hasn't had any recent clutch installs(as far as I know)but the clutch that's in it is great in around town driving. Any thoughts?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I figured too, Marc, any idea how much a good(e.g. ACT, Centerforce etc.) goes for? I bought this car used with 95k on it, and I doubt that it's ever had a new clutch installed....

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
I went with a Sachs recently and I have had awesome results with gripping. I've chirpped third with not much done to my R. The set isn't expensive and comes with PP, disc and bearing.

------------------
93 SE-R with 91 SR20DE. When you're driving an SE-R, you're living. Everything else is just waiting.

Thinkin of suspension....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jayac is right that is the exact setup I have and would recomend it to anyone that is not making huge amounts of power. I would say the most cost efective also.

MarC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok...How much is a stock disk? The other Sachs set-up sounds interesting, too. The last High-performance clutch I had in a car was a Centerforce Gold series-does that stock set-up with the JWT PP "hold" the same as my old Centerforce unit?(It was an "entry" level Centreforce-30% more clamping power than stock) Where did you guys get your parts, and how much exactly did everything go for? The more I think about it, I don't think my engine's been "skipping"-it's probably been the clutch slipping....

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
stay away from centerforce. alot of people have problems with them. ben busted his jwt, and I have my unbreakable act in mine. maybe I will get lucky and have enough power to break it though

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
If you don't have much done to your car, I wouldn't worry bout any crazy grabbing power right now. I'm not posotive, but I hear a lot about bitchy drivers once they install their high performance clutch, how hard it is to drive for a bit. I was going to go with the JWT, but people told me to just go with a good kit like sachs. They do all the German stuff. Seems to work awesome though.

------------------
93 SE-R with 91 SR20DE. When you're driving an SE-R, you're living. Everything else is just waiting.

Thinkin of suspension....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Brother has a ACT 6-puck in his 200sx SE-R and that thing is pretty harsh for street driving(he is running a 150-250hp NOS set-up, though)- How much are these set-up that you guys are referring to, and where can I order them? While we're on this subject, what do you guys have for shifters? I was thinking about having a B&M shifter installed along with this clutch; it's 125$ and made out of billet aluminum.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have any of you guys heard of a "Paraut" clutch? It's supposedly a J-Spec item....The reason I ask is I can pick up the whole clutch assembly(clutch, PP and Throwout bearing) for 115$ brand new! Let me know what you guys think-

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
Haven't heard of it. The shifet i am going to get soon is the SMC. You can get it through courtesy for bout i think 80 bucks, good too.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any other thoughts on buying the whole clutch assembly in onw shot? I would rather have matched components that one of this, and one of that....Any place where I can get parts cheap?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How good is Clutch Masters?? I can purchase the whole Cltuch assembly quite cheap for a street/strip clutch online-any thoughts on this brand?? Anyone have one?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been told thatthey have made some changes/improvements but I dont know from personal experiance. I have a frien that just got one but his car is still on jackstands so I cant tell you how he likes it.

MarC

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let me know what he thinks, Marc, because that appears to be the unit I will be going with-I can't find a cheaper set-up than that(besides OEM)! What does your friend have for a shifter in his car, or do you have one in yours?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where is there a cheap place Online for me to buy a good clutch assembly for under 300$? Is there a place that has a "package deal" with the clutch and the shifter? I think my commute to Boston is going to fry this stock one in short order!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris:
How good is Clutch Masters?? I can purchase the whole Cltuch assembly quite cheap for a street/strip clutch online-any thoughts on this brand?? Anyone have one?</font>

Actually, The JWT P/PL is manufatured by Clutch Masters. Many peolpe have killed these clutches with simple bolt ons, including myself. You can look up some horror stories on www.se-r.net archives. You may want to look into getting an ACT Street Clucth Kit. This will handle all bolt on + up to 100 shot of nitrous if you decide you want more power later down the road. You can usually get these kits for $300.00. It will be the best $300.00 you ever spend!

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1497569&a=11327630

Louis Anaya 1992 Sentra SE-R
349.6 hp & 288.9 ft/lb @ 19 psi, 13.6 @ 111 mph(Street Tires),12.7 @ 112 mph(Slicks), Bluebird SR20DET w/ GTiR Pistons,T3/T04E,Deltagate Wastegate (7-9 PSI) FMAX Manifold, RevHard FMIC, JWT S3 Cams, JWT Ported & Polished Head, 1996 200SX SE-R Welded & Cyro Treated Tranny, ACT Xtreme P/PL & 6 Puck Disc, Cobra MAF, JWT ECU w/ 4 Bar Fuel Program, MSD 50lb/hr Injectors, JWT Fuel Rail, 300ZXTT Fuel Pump, AeroMotive Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator, Greddy Type "R" BOV, Greddy Profec B, Greddy Boost & EGT Guages, UR 4 Pulley Kit, Powerslot Rotors, Axxis MM Brake Pads, ES Motor Mounts, Topspeed Short Shifter, Momo Cobra Shift Knob, KYB AGX Struts, GC Coilovers (350F/600R)& 17x7 White Tenzo Shu-4's w/ Sumitomo 205/40/ZR17 Tires (Street), 13x7.5 White Lenso VPD's w/ Mickey Thompson 24x8x13 Slicks(Drag)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, where the best place to get one? I placed my car up for sale, but obviously npo one is very interested, which means I'll be holding onto it for awhile I suppose...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts