SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to wally mart, picked up a 39.95 timing light, carefully removed it from box, adjusted timing in the NX, put item back neatly in box, and returned it.

My timing was @ 11, so i bumped it up to 17 and also tightened my throttle cable. I swear to god it seems like i have a new car.

I would like to thank Wal-Mart Stores for making it all possible.

My question is for the guys who have their timing set to 17; What grade gas do you use? I put in premium (93Oct) just to be safe when i adjusted the timing, but I'm thinking 89 should also do the trick.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I almost positive I read on se-r.net that you have to use 93, thats what I use

------------------
96 w/ HS CAI, timing @ 17, 92 I/E cams, Naxos muffler, Eibach Sportlines, Front struts: Motivational, Rear shocks: KYB AGX's, S/T sway bars, ES lower control arm bushings and motor mounts, Courtesy F/R STB, APC Clear corners, Stillen grille, and Focus short throw.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
i've used both 92 and 89. depends on how much the oil thugs are charging that day. ya gotta love wal-mart! they'll let you return anything!

·
0 Posts
SCRUB!!!!!

lol!!!
Its all good. How do you think I got my speaker grills. I bought a pair of speakers at Wal-mart, took out the grills and took the speakers back!! I know its a horrible thing to do, but I saved money to put towards my engine.

------------------
-

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You should still be able to use 87 octane at 17 degrees, since 17 is still within spec (15+-2deg BTDC). I did that with my SE-R for a while. Though I would worry about it if you're driving around on a very hot day; might have slight detonation. 89 octane should more than suffice. Going beyond 17deg, I think it would be best to use 91,92,93,94 octane or whatever your local gas stations have for premium (stupid 91 octane here in California).

--Andrew Phan

P

·
0 Posts
hey
just thought id let you know that we have 91 standard and 96 as premium
also some bigger fuel stations are supplying 101 choice eh
oh how i love living in New Zealand...

chris

------------------
primeras its where its at.

·
RE-F/ING-TIRED:)
1,318 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by primera-chris:
hey
just thought id let you know that we have 91 standard and 96 as premium
also some bigger fuel stations are supplying 101 choice eh
oh how i love living in New Zealand...

chris

</font>
how is the octane number derived in NZ? here,in the U.S.,it's R+M divided by 2.
R=Research M=Motor

Ric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts