SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there any need for the timing chain guard? if theres no need for it, is it hard to take off??has anyone heard of you not needing one?

·
Registered
377 Posts
no need for it, infact nissan quit putting that timing chain guard on, in their late SR20's, i just took mine off, it cures the horrible chain rattle. Just take off the valve cover and i think its 2 12mm bolts. easy

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
i believe one of the reasons they stop putting it was because of lower redline on never cars and to save money

·
boosting
1,454 Posts
does anyone have a picture of what this would look like?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
when you take a v/c off you will see it right away it is between cam gears on top

·
boosting
1,454 Posts
reason I ask is, cause couldnt **** get caught up in the chain potentially, like maybe some extra wires around the engine bay, I would think it would be a good idea keeping it there so I it wouldnt be on my mind. I guess if you have adjustable cam gears it would make some sense

·
No D E T.
1,436 Posts
sleeping 91ser said:
reason I ask is, cause couldnt **** get caught up in the chain potentially, like maybe some extra wires around the engine bay
the timing chain guard is under the valve cover, nothing should get caught in there, unless you run your car without a valve cover [in which case you would have other problems]
:eek:

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
sleeping 91ser said:
reason I ask is, cause couldnt **** get caught up in the chain potentially, like maybe some extra wires around the engine bay, I would think it would be a good idea keeping it there so I it wouldnt be on my mind. I guess if you have adjustable cam gears it would make some sense
huh? what he said, it's internal.

·
Looking for a new B13....
217 Posts
He's thinkin that the valve cover and timing chain cover are separate. If you get rid of your timing chain cover your either
#1>cutting your valve cover to pieces or
#2>removing your oil pump.

The upper guide was something Nissan thought was useful but found it did nothing..they discontinued it like 5 years ago...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
have any of you taken the guard off? i have like a little sound that its making from that side of the engine, my brother said its prob the guard and that other people have had problems with theres too.

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Did you replace your tensioner when you did your swap? Might not be the problem though, I've replaced mine and it didn't quiet anything. It would appear people are calling timing chain guides, covers. The timing cover is where the front main seal is located and the timing pin is mounted. Needless to say, it's not something you can remove. I'm going to have to try removing my upper guide and see if it quiets things down. I realized they quit putting them in when I was helping Justme put S4's in his '97 SE-R and I was like, "Dude, where's your chain guide?". I wonder if smoothdadddyfig has removed his for weight loss reasons? ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
i took mine off, i'll be posting pictures tomorrow before and after, showing pictures of the chain guard and where it goes, hopefully it clears things up

·
Master Cunnilingust
4,713 Posts
Right click and paste the url's into new windows to see the pics. Imagestation is cracking down on linking images so they don't show up as much anymore. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts