SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my car has 60k miles already and i wanted to know when should the timing chain should be replaced or adjusted???

what causes a timing chain to be damaged or stretched????

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so wats the advantage of the timing chain over the timing belt??? is it that it never needs replacement or maintenance????

·
Registered
377 Posts
ok this poses another question (not meaning to highjack the thread :D), when you get the chain rattle off the top chain guard, what do you do then? In many cases, changing out the chain tensioner does NOT solve the problem. It seems that the only option is to do a full timing chain kit change. Is it ok to remove that top chain guard? the noise is horrible, but i thought that removing that guard could cause the chain to possibly skip a tooth, then again, some of the SR20's don't have that top chain guard.. ???

·
Rattle Box
360 Posts
My engine doesnt have the top guard...all though i have questioned why my engine/valvetrain is so loud, and someone told me to check out the timing chain. I wouldnt worry about not having the guard.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Storm88000 said:
...unless it breaks.

Which is a RARITY, I might add.

The only way you could really snap a chain is by neglecting the motor, over-revving it all of the time, or simply due to the passage of a hell of a lot of time. I've seen motors die more because of something other than the timing chain snapping. That's the advantage of timing chains; they are supposed to last the life of the motor. Timing belts, however, need to be replaced every 60,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Timing chains--no maintainance, last forever, heavier.
Belts--lighter, must replace, but you get that slight retard of timing at high rpm, which is good for power.
It's funny--I had that chain rattle noise at the top for a while...then it went away. I've been using MOBIL-1 for the last year and a half, maybe that's why?

·
Tired Greasemonkey
1,384 Posts
Harris said:
Which is a RARITY, I might add.

The only way you could really snap a chain is by neglecting the motor, over-revving it all of the time, or simply due to the passage of a hell of a lot of time. I've seen motors die more because of something other than the timing chain snapping. That's the advantage of timing chains; they are supposed to last the life of the motor. Timing belts, however, need to be replaced every 60,000 miles or so.
we just got done rebuilding a ka24e engine, the tensioner broke and the customer kept driving it until the chain rubbed a grove in it about 1/2 inch deep.
crazy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.