SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

Lately, after about 5 weeks since installing the 91 cams, I am hearing a rattle or CLANG-CLANG coming from right inside the timing chain housing area. If I lean over the engine and rev her up you can hear it real clearly in the left area just above the cam gears. I have heard that the tensioner or chain track has a tendency to not want to go back tight after a cam replacement if you dont actually make sure it is. You can hear it inside the car just slightly too. My question is, when I go to unvail the top end, what is the easiest procedure that I can do to make sure that everything is tight and there is no play in the chain? How can I make sure the track isnt beating against the chain during operation? TIA GANG!

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> Hot Shot CAI, Custom Apexi Cat Back, ST Shifter & G4 Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, B&G springs, 91 Cams, NOS 50 Shot, 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Nitto's, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, JWT CPU COMING SOON!

[This message has been edited by ProjectSE-R (edited 10-10-2001).]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks RacerX! That helped tremendously! I called Brian at Courtesy and he hooked me up with the goods. So next week the noises will cease!

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
you might want to get a new chain tensioner and gasket, its pretty easy to change. the rear track supports the chain the entire time its running, so if you are getting clatter after the car has warmed up then it is more than likely in need of a new tensioner Here is a good link with info on putting in a a new tensioner (im guessing you already have the redesigned one)

http://www.zotz.com/nissan/proc/sentra_se-r/sentra_se-r_tensioner.htm

I delayed changing mine and ended up bending all my intake valves after the tensioner failed so I would really reccommend changing it asap

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

1 - 3 of 3 Posts