SR20 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like I'll be doing one of these timing chain tensioners any day now. It's not broken I just have 100,000 miles and once in a while an odd metallic sound when I start and turn the car off. I have to do the water pump any way. This top bloke gave me some advice already, but I wanted to know if anyone else out there has done one. Looks like the chain guide is going to get hit hard when the tensioner is released. ?????

·
Turd Furgeson
3,935 Posts
thats kind of conceptual for a spaz like me. ill take a look at my car tomorrow, and i'll pretend its your car, and im gonna replace the water pump. let u know ok?

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The timing chain tensioner is really easy to do. BUt after you remove the oil filter make sure you cover the opening so you dont drop the tiny nuts or washers into your engine.
Hook the tensioner before you reinstall it.
After it is installed, rotate your crank pulley (use a wrench) to pop the tensioner free.

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
try here>

www.zotz.com/nissan

it doesnt pop out hard enough to do anything but annoy you if you loose the hardware

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

·
JordanWhiteMusic.com
4,699 Posts
It has to be compressed. Also, make sure its lubrictated with plenty of oil. Remove the oil filter and place a rag in the opening. Remove the two nuts and washers.

------------------
Jordan White (Stormy)
'98 SE(R) w/ HS CAI, HS G3 Header, JWT s4 Cams, UR Pulleys, KYB AGX's, Eibach Sportlines, Courtesy STB's, ES Mounts, ES Bushings, PWST X-Drilled Rotors w/ Axxis MM Pads, 17" Borbet Type S's w/ 205/40 Kumhos, Nis-Knacks goodies

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that was easy. Damn wind was so bad I had to stop for the day so my engine would not become a dirt trap. Thanks for all of the advice. The only thing I did differently was that I used a big screw driver to push the tensioner arm back a bit to release it. Worked just fine. I think the car feels a bit stronger also. Could be all in my head though. So doc, am I mad?

Thanks again blokes

·
Registered
529 Posts
I just put a new one on my 93, it did have the old style when i removed it, but how do I know if the plunder released? I still get clatter, it has however, slowly gone away as i drove it around the block, Could it just be that it need's oil circulated for a bit?

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
This is one OLD ASS thread you brought back, focalblur.

·
Registered
529 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts