SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok today I noticed my timing chain in my NX is making a lot of noise and I just installed a new tensioner a few months ago, could my timing chain be really stretched ? could it start slipping ? what km mark do they get changed at ? I'm kind of worried about it slipping because I'm driving to Vancouver tomorrow and I would be really screwed if it happened.

·
Registered
858 Posts
mine is too but the rattling noise comes and goes.new tensioner also. hope it dosen't come loose on the dyno pulls in e-town. what kind of oil do you use,grade etc?

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,balanced &blueprint rebuild.comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,No emissions.crap,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have castrol synthetic cant remember the wate of it off the top of my head... but i know i have to do a oil change its over dew, maybe my oil filter is cloged and im geting low oil presher from it and thats not puting anuff tension on the chain any more.

G

·
0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nick:
i have castrol synthetic cant remember the wate of it off the top of my head... but i know i have to do a oil change its over dew, maybe my oil filter is cloged and im geting low oil presher from it and thats not puting anuff tension on the chain any more. </font>
Damn they must not have very good spelling teachers in Canada.

G

·
0 Posts
hey aztec- Take off you Hoser!
Hey, it must be from ingesting that Molson XXX and(my favorites) A 'fin Du Monde' and Maudite. Believe me, if you had a few of those, you'd be slurring your words, too. My landlady is French canadian, and my Fiancee' is from Rhode Island(imagine an accent that's a cross between someone from New Jersey and Boston), and between the two of them, they drive me nuts! anyway......

Are you sure it's your timing chain? I had a rattle in my Block that I thought was that, but it got higher pitched, and it turned out to be the a/c compressor.

·
Stuck on an island
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey I was in a rush and I was half asleep when I wrote that.
I don't have ac so its not that

·
Not on fire... yet
591 Posts
If its the timing chain tensioner you can here it trying to prime itself on start up (it will linger for a good bit)..... sounds like a clicking noise in the valve cover around the oil cap. I found this out a bit late on my DET and it skipped a few teeth and bent all the intake valves. Hope this helps out, I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to anyone else....

------------------
93 NX2K
some stuff and a DET
"project street mod?"
1988 BMW M3 w/ a few toys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts