SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been checking my timing on my 93 NX2K. I have disconnected the TPS and revved the engine to 3000 RPM 3 times as the directions say. When the fan is running it reads between 12-14 degrees. When the fan stops it reads 15-17 degrees. Is it normal for the reading to change when the fan comes on? Should I try to set it for what it reads when the fan is on or off? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by keithert:
I have been checking my timing on my 93 NX2K. I have disconnected the TPS and revved the engine to 3000 RPM 3 times as the directions say. When the fan is running it reads between 12-14 degrees. When the fan stops it reads 15-17 degrees. Is it normal for the reading to change when the fan comes on? Should I try to set it for what it reads when the fan is on or off? Thanks.</font>
Yes, it is normal for the timing readings to be different when the fan is on or off. You want to set the timing when the fan is off.

Interesting... I've only seen the timing advance, not retard, when the fan turns on. Are you reading the timing marks correctly? Just curious... Here's how to read it

-5 0 5 10 1315 20
| | | | ### |

<----firewall front of car---->

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
Yup thats typical. Eric and I had that problem with mine when setting the timing. Stupid b13's are so not fun to time

------------------
Thats my opinion and I could be wrong

93 classic
Aztec Red, Automatic, POP, STB, OEC battery tie down, AD22VF's, Pirelli P4000's

·
Registered
97 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:

-5 0 5 10 1315 20
| | | | ### |

<----firewall front of car---->
</font>
I couldnt figure mine out it only had two dashes and not big paint mark, looked like this:

| |

What the hell?

------------------
Stock (except for sticky Dunlops 8000's) '91 NX2K

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
yes, that's right...that's why you just unplug the connectors BEFORE you set your timing..

------------------
Aztec Red 1993 NX2000

1 - 8 of 8 Posts