SR20 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question: Anybody know how much bumping timing from 15 to 17 degrees will gain me??? In other words, would my money be better spent buying a mod, or bumping the timing and paying more for gas (or both!!!) I don't want to sound dumb, I'm just not gonna do it for 1 hp.... I'll save up for a better mod (POP maybe...hmmmmm) Thanks for your ideas.... NXDude

·
8,148 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXDude:
Quick question: Anybody know how much bumping timing from 15 to 17 degrees will gain me??? In other words, would my money be better spent buying a mod, or bumping the timing and paying more for gas (or both!!!) I don't want to sound dumb, I'm just not gonna do it for 1 hp.... I'll save up for a better mod (POP maybe...hmmmmm) Thanks for your ideas.... NXDude</font>

Bumping your timing will cost you nothing. If you have a dial-in timing light just set it to zero and advance it 2 degrees to find 17 degrees. It is basically a free mod. There are other free mods you could do.
91NX, SR20 owner over 10 years.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NXDude:
Quick question: Anybody know how much bumping timing from 15 to 17 degrees will gain me??? </font>
Not too much. However...bump it up to 19 and you will definately feel a difference in throttle response and you'll gain a few HP. Mike Kojima gained like 7hp, IIRC. You have to put in 92 octane or better, but, cmon its only a couple cents extra i dont wanna here poeple bitchin about gas prices. With the jump to 92, you may pay a dollar extra, sheesh.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Greddy cat-back, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Stillen GTR grill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts