SR20 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey ive heard quite a bit about advancing the timing, does anyone know what the factory timing is supposed to be and what should it be set to for everyday driving, and what for the track? also, i read about how to change it but it doesnt say anything about any #s, just how to see if its correct to spec, so how do i get the # for the timing? off the tool i use? also if i run advanced timing, should i use a higher grade fuel?

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
I think stock timing is 15 degrees. You shine the timing light down on the pullie and you will see lines on the pullie and there will be this marker indicating where your timing is at. I think the marker thing kinda sticks out above the pullie. If you do run advanced timing you do have to use a higher grade fuel. I think 19 degrees is the most advanced you can get, and requires 93 octane gas. You could probably run 17 degrees with 89 octane, but im not sure.

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KikoSanchez182:
hey ive heard quite a bit about advancing the timing, does anyone know what the factory timing is supposed to be and what should it be set to for everyday driving, and what for the track? also, i read about how to change it but it doesnt say anything about any #s, just how to see if its correct to spec, so how do i get the # for the timing? off the tool i use? also if i run advanced timing, should i use a higher grade fuel?</font>
http://www.se-r.net/engine/about_timing.html

Also check out all the other info at http://www.se-r.net
and http://www.se-r.net/site_index.html

[This message has been edited by AC7880 (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx, i was just wondering how much power you can gain from advancing your timing, since a higher grade fuel must be used i wanted to know. and is it okay to change it often, like set it at 15 and then change to 17 for the track then change it back the next day, so i can run 87 gas or what?

·
91 SE-R
228 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by KikoSanchez182:
thanx, i was just wondering how much power you can gain from advancing your timing, since a higher grade fuel must be used i wanted to know. and is it okay to change it often, like set it at 15 and then change to 17 for the track then change it back the next day, so i can run 87 gas or what?</font>
Info below from: http://www.se-r.net/car_info/engine_performance_tuning.html #Timing

Here is the all time cheapest hop up that anyone can do. Typically most SR20DEs have the timing set to 13 degrees or less from the factory. I have seen as low as 10 degrees on a brand new factory fresh car. You can safely run up to 15 degrees on regular gas on most SR20DEs. For best performance on a stock engine, put in 92 octane and dial in between 17 to 19 degrees. This has been proven by recent dyno testing on a stock car to give up to 6 more hp at the wheels. Remeber if you have your timing turned up this high you MUST use 92 octane fuel. Do not exceed 17 degress of advance if you have a JWT ECU.

Don’t tolerate any detonation though. Detonation will kill your engine quicker than lard and coconut oil will kill you! I am putting the detonation warning in here because the timing pointer on the engine can be easily bent which could cause you to accidentally over-advance your timing! It happened to me so be careful! If you have the JWT ECU, set the timing at 15 degrees. On the dyno I have not seen any difference between 15 and 17 degrees with a JWT ECU although bottom end snap might feel a little better. It is better to be safe at 15 than on the edge at 17 for only a perceived difference in throttle response. Be sure to disconnect the TPS when adjusting the timing and remember that the JWT NOS module requires that TPS terminal 1 and 2 be shorted out when setting the timing.

Personally I just run at 15 degrees all the time on the cheap fuel. My car was set at 12 when I bought it, and 15 definitly helped.

Get a factory manual and a good timing light and you can change it as often as you like.
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts