SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me which direction to turn the distributor to advance/retard timing...can you give it to me in clockwise/counterclockwise to make it less confusing, thanxs.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Uhh... I think it's the other way around... Rotating towards the firewall advances it (clockwise) and towards the front of the car retards it (counter-clockwise)... This is facing the distributor from the driver's side of the car.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, which is it guys...can an expert shed some light on this???

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lefty75:
well, which is it guys...can an expert shed some light on this???</font>
It's what I posted above. I was about 90% sure at the time I typed it because I wasn't anywhere near my car(s)... But I checked it, and I'm 100% sure.

Facing the distributor from the driver's side of the car:

Toward the firewall (clockwise) = advance
Toward the front of the car (counterclockwise) = retard

Like Limited Slip said, get yourself a timing light. Shoot... I should listen to that advice for once! I don't even have a timing light...

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
okay, so why does the se-r.net instructions tell you the opposite?

"If not, slightly loosen two bolts holding the distributor, and twist it [toward the front of the engine to advance, toward the cabin to retard] to obtain the desired timing. [Recheck the setting after tightening the bolts!]."

[This message has been edited by Stiletto (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Stiletto:
okay, so why does the se-r.net instructions tell you the opposite?

"If not, slightly loosen two bolts holding the distributor, and twist it [toward the front of the engine to advance, toward the cabin to retard] to obtain the desired timing. [Recheck the setting after tightening the bolts!]."
</font>
Interesting... I just looked at that on SE-R.net. It should be the opposite. You rotate towards the firewall to advance and towards the front of the engine to retard. I'm sure of it, unless both my SR20's were assembled backwards or something. The SE-R's timing is around 15deg so it's hard to say on that one. However, the NX's timing is at 19deg and it's obvious that the distributor is rotated more towards the firewall (clockwise) than the front of the car (counterclockwise).

That info has been there for about 3-4 years... I'm surprised no one has spotted that until now.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts