SR20 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey dudes - last week i posted a how to install chain tennsioner? anyway before i did this i thought i would pull the rocker cover off and have look at the chain guide - that was the problem - i removed it and now the problem is solved

my question - is it ok to remove this thing? (my chain has no play i could not move it at all)

Has anyone else done it

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
You took your rocker off? I hope you meant valve cover. And yes, its ok to remove the guide. Nissan stopped installing them in the SRs here from '98 and up, IIRC.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
NateSR20 said:
Harris - he said "rocker cover", not rocker ;)
D'oh! Note to self: read slowly!

:)

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
my chain makes a lot of noise, i think its just dragin on the guide,, if i replace my tensioner, and remove the guides, ill be fine?

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Yes, you'll be fine if you replace the tensioner and remove the guide.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
this is great news,, i was going to buy new guides from nissan too ($$73.XX) each. i already have my tensior, which cost like 28bucks..

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
The guide I'm talking about removing is the top one, by the cams. Just FYI.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
Harris said:
The guide I'm talking about removing is the top one, by the cams. Just FYI.
okay, this changes a lot than.. so u cannot remove the other ones than. i already replaced the one up near my cams, that part was only a few dollars....

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
I don't know if you can remove the other ones and run the car safely, but I do know that the one by the cams does cause the chain to rattle.

·
lack of sr20 owner
1,329 Posts
I was gonna say - there is no way that part is 70 somethin bucks. I wouldnt suggest removing any other ones, unless you know what the hell your doing/getting yourself into.

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
thanks for getting me straight with this guys... i guess ill be pulling my VC tomorrow and pulling the top guide.. i hope this does it for me.

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
Ever notice that the SR20's that came with this part from the factory have the higher redlines?

I Think Nissan knows something we don't.

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
Did the 94-96 G20s have them? If they did, maybe I see the picture, and it ain't a good one either!

·
4th sr20 and counting..
2,949 Posts
lol...this noise cannot be normal...this topic is going too many different ways now too... i have a high port if it matters.

·
44 Posts
On a related note, if you stuff a rag to prevent stuff from falling into the spark plug holes, don't forget the rocker cover nut between cylinders 2 & 3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts