SR20 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Like it or Don't Like it
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having this doubt if Im right or wrong

but putting the car on Time with the TPS off doesn't really convince me.

I placed it @17 deg.
w/ tps on as normal and it works fine and I have no pistons sounding or anything car runs great
but one night I did it as an other friends of mines that has a se-r
placed it @ 17 deg w/ tps off <I did the procedure as it says on se-r.net>
but when i tested the car against a friends acura that we went plain even he beated me 2 cars...

so I don't know any sugestions or whatever

I have been runing the car with that time since february 2001 and the motor is still alive so I don't really believe on that TPS stuff

other thing that im told by my friend is that im "way up in time" since I did not put my car on time with the TPS Im like almost close to 30 deg. if I read the time with the TPS off.

anyways I dont know anyone comment on this so i can get out of my doubt thanx.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
BORICUA!!!!!!

Yo bro, I was tripping tooo when I timed my car for the first time.
That TPS had me thinking all kinds of sh*t.

But the best thing to do is disconnect it. When you plug it back on, everything should still be lined up. Every place I have gone to says to disconnect it. So why not. Just remember to have the car at operating temperature and rev up past 3,000 with the TPS off to set the timing. And dont do it when the fans kick on!!!! Have all accesories off!!!!!

Nos vemos!!!!!

·
Like it or Don't Like it
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know still it doesn't convince me cus when I put the timmin pistol w/ the tps on after doin the timming with tps of it shows like im runnin @ 7 degs or something

and anyways

I dunno...

I have you on AIM ill talk to you there or I don't know if u saw me add u i dont know how it works just downloaded it cus all i use is msn and icq

aim: Digitek1

and let me know on that cus timming my car w/ tps off has just given me un lechon de a peso lol

na a cojer jalones en la fiebre no voy =/

bueno que se yo hablamos luego
:p

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Digitek said:
I don't know still it doesn't convince me cus when I put the timmin pistol w/ the tps on after doin the timming with tps of it shows like im runnin @ 7 degs or something
You have to remember that the ECU *always* assumes the base ignition timing to be at 15 degrees. When you mechanically change the timing, the ECU still thinks it's at 15 degrees, but cannot compensate for the change, therefore you see an increase/decrease in power. If you try to change timing with the TPS still connected, the ECU will continue to compensate for the timing change and either advance/retard the timing back to 15 degrees, which will do you absolutely no good. That's why you have to pull the TPS plug and rev the engine 3 times before setting the timing. That puts the engine in timing-lock mode, and allows you to adjust the timing without the ECU interfering. Just remember not to adjust when the fans kick on...

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

1 - 4 of 4 Posts