SR20 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately my post describing my exhaust system with pictures was deleted in that fiasco. I am running a Courtesy B-pipe with a 2.5" Ultra-Flo (19" long can). It flows well but I had some noise/vibration issues at times. Sometimes it was quiet, sometimes it wasn't.

Today I added a 2.5" ID 3.5" OD resonated tip. Now the tip opening is behind the bumper, whereas before the muffler exited inside (but still below) the plastic bumper cover. Pictures will be posted soon.

It drastically reduced the idle, acceleration, and cruising noise level. I mean, ITS FRICKIN' SWEET!!!!

I can't say if any tip would do it or if the resonated part is actually helping. If you get a resonated tip, I wouldn't recommend the pilot motorsports tip. It only has a few holes spaced far apart. Go to naji's page and click on the close up of the tip. That is waht I was expecting but did not get. Anyway, my exhaust is quieter inside the car than it was before.

Also, I occasionaly got some rattling while turning right. It was the b-pipe hitting the seam on the gas tank cover. The guy in the exhaust shop had this rubber strip with a 90 degree piece of metal on it. We added a hole in the frame above the axle. The rubber strip was screwed in there and the 90 degree metal bend was attached to the b-pipe with a hose clamp. Result:
No rattling anywhere and a much firmer installation. I had to skip the first muffler hangar because of the length of the muffler can, but this more than made up for it.

------------------
1999 Sentra SE [email protected] street tires
PRCAI, ES and homemade motor mounts, JWT S3 cams, Courtesy Rear strut tower bar, ACT S/S clutch, ZEX (JUN) 9.5lb flywheel, Hotshot 3rd Gen header, Shortened Courtesy B-Pipe, Dynomax Ultra-Flo 2.5" muffler (no tip), JWT ECU with S3 program, AGX on stock springs (for now), Axxis metal masters, Motul brake fluid, 91 SE-R drivers seat with 91 SE-R passenger seat lower cushion and 99 SE seat belt buckle and headrest
1991 Sentra SE-R in garage on jackstands (for now) with 1999 SE drivers seat, no A/C, no alternator, battery, airbox, clutch cable...

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
Jason

Nice to see it worked out. I was hoping that was the problem with the noise levels you were experiencing. So don't go with the Pilot tips? I am glad to know. I was about to order the 3" outlet resonating tip.

I think I'll stick with the cheap ass $7 tip I got from Advance Auto. It works well and releases the exhaust sounds past the rear bumper. Maybe I'll go for the Dynomax 3" stainless tip he showed me when I was out there. It was not a resonating tip, but looked real nice on the G20.

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts