SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, I have had the stillen exhaust on my car for over a year now. It has the 4 inch tip on it and it gets all of the exhaust crap all over it and it looks like crap. well, I have tried everything with no avail until today. I finally got enough balls to go to the hardware store and get some 0000 steel wool and try to use it. get to the hardware store and my first impression is that it is not rough enough to take anything off and the one up will scratch the crap out of it, but it is only like $3 so I buy it and bring it home. so, I am sitting behind my car and it is starting to come up a little bit, so I get a little lube (spit) on the wool and start rubbing back and forth and then side to side and easilly within ten miniutes my tip looks bran new with no complaints and I even went in about 1/2" in so when people walk by and stare at Black Beauty (name of my car me and the ex named her) they are like, "man, new exhaust, wait a sec, all of the hangers and part of the muffler is rusted, we've been tricked" :)

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I used some chrome cleaner at a friend's in Sacramento but can't remember what it was called. It was in a short round can and was just this cottony fluffy stuff. Worked great!

0000 steel wool? Is 0000 a grade or brand or what? :) Wanna get that black area off my stock tip at the bottom where the seam is.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the 0000 is a grade, it is really fine and does a good job. that is why I bought it, to get all of the crap off the bottom of my tip. takes a little elbow grease though :) not as bad as it sounds

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ben, I think the stuff you used was some gun cleaner crap. my buddy has that (he is an armorer in the usmc) and uses it all of the time. I think it is called black magic or something like that. I will ask him about it though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts