SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday I will be racing at Miller Park in Milwaukee, this will be my first event, any tips, like tire pressure or other sh#t, or is anyone going to be there?
Oh yeah its an autocross event
------------------
Place Racing CAI,JWT S4 cams and JWT ECU with S4 program, hotshot gen3 header, greddy SP exhaust, KYB AGX's and Ground Controls, Konig Traffiks with Nitto NT555's

[This message has been edited by 96 all motor SeR (edited 08-30-2001).]

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Autocrossing tip #1:
Walk the course enough to know where it goes. Unwanted detours can be embarassing, and they render your run a "DNF."

Driving tip #1:
Stay ahead of the car. Overdriving will make our FWD cars do nothing but plow, or worse, start taking out cones.

Pump those tires up to the max PSI rating or better, and "go slow to go fast." Unless you're a natural born Fangio, you're not going to be a slick driver right off. Expect mistakes and slow times, and roll with it. Have fun.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Congrats on your first autocross. You are about to have as much fun as possible in your car with your clothes on

- You pump up your tires to keep them from rolling over on the sidewalls. You'll be doing alot of quick, hard turns. I've actually seen someone cord the sidewall of their tire before.

- Please trust me on this: Sometimes slower is faster. There are times to go fast, and there are times to go not so fast. If your tires are howling and your car is understeering like a fat pig, you are going too fast. If you go slow in the slow parts, you will actually have a quicker elapsed time. Trust me.

- If you can ride with an experienced autocrosser, or have one ride with you, do it. You will learn so much.

- Your goal should be to have fun and to be a better driver at the end of the day. Don't give a damn how you finish.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
708 Posts
Use your brakes!
I know it may seem obvious but many a newbie will enter corners way to fast and plow their way through. A side benefit is that it will set your front tires and actually make for more grip and a faster speed through the turn.

Also walk the course twice if you have time.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
Have fun and don't get nervous when you hit the wiper switch or bump the horn. It happens to all of us.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, Courtesy Exhaust, Coming attractions: Toda Racing cams

·
713 ways to be a dick!
4,652 Posts
Hey all motor, I will see you there. I have a black 200sx with a 1.6
Don't worry about it being your first time, it's a BLAST and EVERYONE is super cool! Hope to meet up with you there!

late,
wes

·
Team Tool
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, Wes i saw your car at the BF Goodrich spring Drag wars, looks nice I will see you there.

------------------
Place Racing CAI,JWT S4 cams and JWT ECU with S4 program, hotshot gen3 header, greddy SP exhaust, KYB AGX's and Ground Controls, Konig Traffiks with Nitto NT555's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts