SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VE powered
556 Posts
I'm not sure I'm liking this. I just talked to Tirerack where I bought my 710's and even though we get a new set of the old 700's we're still responsible for the mounting/balancing costs which for us "regular" non-sponsored people is $20/tire. Bottom line is I get the privilege of paying $160 for running a slower tire for "supposedly only 60-90 days" :) (and possibly not even in time for our local National Tour in July) and ruining what little chance I had of finishing near the top of the season's standings.

I've asked Kumho to see what they can do about offsetting the cost of the mounting/balancing. If nothing else they should be able to arrange for a couple local shops to do the work at a favorable rate.

I had just won my first ever Street Mod event last weekend and this weekend finished only 0.5 secs behind the SM runner-up at the recent San Bernadino Pro Solo. Arrgghhh!

Steve

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Are autocrossers having the same problems?? If not, keep on kicking ass and taking names with the V710s. AFAIK this seems to be a road racing related issue.

·
VE powered
556 Posts
MaddMatt said:
Are autocrossers having the same problems?? If not, keep on kicking ass and taking names with the V710s. AFAIK this seems to be a road racing related issue.
You're right in the sense that the major problems have been with road racing. However, there have been a couple cracking/splitting issues reported by autocrossers similar to the initial Ecsta V700 tire that debuted a couple years ago. Regardless, given the seriousness that Kumho/SCCA/Tirerack are giving this issue I seriously doubt our local SCCA region will allow a V710 to pass any tech inspection.

Steve

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Unless the SCCA outright bans the tire, which they have not done, I can't see how a fully intact V710 would fail an autocross tech inspection.

·
Gettin' Old and Whipped
571 Posts
Something I picked up on my local forum:

Consumers will be given the choice of a free replacement of the ECSTA V710
with either the ECSTA V700 or Victoracer. They will also be provided a free
set of the modified ECSTA V710 upon its arrival.

Kumho is sincerely committed to the quality of our products and the total
satisfaction of our customers. We regret any inconvenience to our
customers.
From what I can gather, Kumho will give 1 set of replacement V700's + 1 set of new V710 when they are released. 2 for 1 sounds pretty good, huh?

·
8,886 Posts
autoxer7 said:
I'm not sure I'm liking this. I just talked to Tirerack where I bought my 710's and even though we get a new set of the old 700's we're still responsible for the mounting/balancing costs which for us "regular" non-sponsored people is $20/tire. Bottom line is I get the privilege of paying $160 for running a slower tire for "supposedly only 60-90 days" :) (and possibly not even in time for our local National Tour in July) and ruining what little chance I had of finishing near the top of the season's standings.

I've asked Kumho to see what they can do about offsetting the cost of the mounting/balancing. If nothing else they should be able to arrange for a couple local shops to do the work at a favorable rate.

I had just won my first ever Street Mod event last weekend and this weekend finished only 0.5 secs behind the SM runner-up at the recent San Bernadino Pro Solo. Arrgghhh!

Steve
Just take their free tires and sell them for a small loss. THen buy some Hoosiers for the next month or two. Then get the new tires from Kuhmo when they come out. You are still getting a free set of tires out of the deal. Thats money in the bank in my book.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts