SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just blew a goodyear eagle gt-hr I think it was, dont quote me on which eagle it was. Anyway, I really really like these tires and upon inspection I have realized that i was running 195/50 instead of 195/55 or 205/50 on SE-R Wheels. I'm going to only get two new tires now, not all 4.. I'm looking for a good all weather high performance tire. I'm autocrossing this saturday, so I need to get this done quickly. I need a tire that has minimal tread wear, excellent dry and wet traction (not concerned about snow), preferably not too noisey (not that important though) and is made in a 205/50/15. Any suggestions? Right now I'm looking at dunlop sp sport 5000s and potenza S-03 pole positions. I would really like to get the GT-HR's again, but we cant get them soon enough so I'm willing to comprimise.

These tires will be driven on daily and will be AutoX'd

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
The big questions that need to be answered first are #1. Will the tires be used in the snow? #2. How much do you want to spend per tire?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I wrote this last night I wasnt thinking of using these just as summer tires, but that has changed... Yes, I will be using these in the snow, so I want some snow traction also (nevermind the pole positions then :p). And per tire, I think that $110-120 per is the maximum that I'm looking to spend

·
Registered
171 Posts
Firestone Indy 500 Firehawks. I used these at 110+ and also in the snow the best tire I've ever used and not too expensive. Around 200-250.

·
Registered
581 Posts
IMHO, there is no such thing as a good "all-season" tire. These will be only mediocre in all conditions: dry, wet and snow. As an example, my wife's Outback runs on Michelin all-seasons. My NX does better in the snow with true snow tires (Bridgestone Blizzaks) even though her car is AWD.

Since you'll be auto-xing, I can't imagine going with an all-season tire. Get yourself a good set of 3-season tires (my Yoko Parada Spec-2's handle the rain better than all-season tires) and have a second set of tires just for the snow. Go a step further and mount the snow tires onto cheap steel wheels (maybe next to nothing at a junk yard). You can get the snow tires for like $50-60 each and you'll go through the snow like nobody's business. Having them on their own rims will also save you paying to swap tires every season onto the same rims.

My $0.02.

Steve

·
My Ass, your face
2,431 Posts
This would be interesting, I'm not aware of a tire out there that gives great wet and dry traction and is usable(safe) in the snow.

Hit up tirerack.com and look at some of the different Potenza lines besides the S-03's.

Peace Out,
Mark

·
Registered
947 Posts
I'm looking for tires with similar requirements. I thought about the snow tires thing, but I have no place to store the winter tires (or wheels and tires), so I came up with the following:

Falken Ziex ZE-512 (plus they come in 215/40/16)
Toyo Proxes 4

But I haven't seen too much data or reviews on these two tires.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The Toyos might be better at dry handling, but I don't think either will be entirely safe in the snow.

Do you have a garage? I bought metal posts/hanger that stick out of the wall. These are mounted close to the ceiling and I put my snow tires on them when not in use (and my summer tires when the snow tires are in use). They are out of the way and easily accessible.

Steve

webninja said:
I'm looking for tires with similar requirements. I thought about the snow tires thing, but I have no place to store the winter tires (or wheels and tires), so I came up with the following:

Falken Ziex ZE-512 (plus they come in 215/40/16)
Toyo Proxes 4

But I haven't seen too much data or reviews on these two tires.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The ZE-512s are great in the snow. My mom had them in 215/55-16 on her old I30t through 2 Maine winters, and she thought they were the best all-seasons in snow she'd ever had. Quite a bit noisier than her stock toyos though.

·
Registered
947 Posts
no garage, no basement, just closet space, which is already filled up with lots of extra parts much to my wife's dismay. I think I might try out the falkens...

·
Registered
909 Posts
i just bought 2 new proxes t1-s, well see how they do, you could always try some falken azenis, but they'd wear pretty fast and are quite loud.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Azenis? Are you insane? I have azenis on my car, and I don't dare to even move it if there's snow or ice on the road. Definitely not all season capable. Although they're fantastic in the dry, and I haven't had any hydroplaning issues in the wet.

For me though, I could never go back to an all season tire. I'd get some Azenis and a cheap snow tire for the winter (that's what I plan to do when I'm in Maine next winter). Get a couple pieces of plexiglass and you have a fine pair of bedside tables, just swap em out when the seasons change :).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my dad just wanted me to have all season tires (I have no idea why, we have an explorer that I use in the snow...) for some reason, and since he is shelling out the majority of the money for these tires, I'm not gonna argue.

·
old school
504 Posts
I found the best prices on Azenis and the 512's at onlinetires.com or if you have a discount code, driverfx.com (which has free shipping too)

·
www.FAIRTAX.org
8,920 Posts
Unfortunatly DriverFX charges $10 per tire to ship. Another good source for good Azenis prices is edgeracing.com.

chris13bsr20 said:
I found the best prices on Azenis and the 512's at onlinetires.com or if you have a discount code, driverfx.com (which has free shipping too)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
meh, my dad ordered me a pair of Dunlop SP sport 5000s today, goin on tomorrow. Just in time for autox :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
There was a Car and Driver review on two sets of tires. I remember one of the sets was the Toyo Proxes 4, I think. And, I think the other was Kuhmo something... Either way, the Kuhmos were all-season that went down to 40 aspect ratio... I think. They said that these tires were unlike any other all-season tire and gave a lot of summer tires a run for their money. If you guys are still interested I'll post it up probably next week when I go back to my dad's. I think that magazine is still sitting in the bathroom. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts