SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you install 215/50 R15 tires on the stock rims, without rubbing? I was told by a couple of dealers that it would rub. The difference in the 215/50 vs 195/55 is very minimal and in my opinion better than say 205/50's. Any thoughts?

Just curious, as I just invested a significant amount of money on tires, so I won't be doing it anytime soon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
215/50/15 won't fit well on the 15x6.5inch rim. The width of the tire is to great. a 15x7 wheel would accomodate the wider tire. Honestly unless you are running crazy power the 205 width is you best bet. if you want to go to a bigger wheel tire package a 205/45/16 works well. remember when you go to bigger tires and wheels you add unsprung weight which affects handling and the rotational mass of the tire/wheels will actually make your car slower. So 205/50/15 if staying stock is a great compromise from the 195/55/15 plus it gives you many more tire choices. I hope this helps.

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the stock wheel was 15" x 6". That won't accommodate the 215/50 tires? Oh well, that change would have been less than 1% difference.

Okay, so educate me. I'm sure I read it before, but what are the benefits vs downfalls of changing tire sizes, assuming you try and maintain the correct diameter.

I want the best balance of handling, traction, and acceleration. Future upgrade I'm considering are the Big brake upgrade, changing the rotors etc for more braking power, and some sort of turbo package. I'm not looking to compete, yet. Maybe in the future, but time is a problem for me right now. I'm no auto mechanic, but I'm intelligent enough and dexterous enough to be able to most work myself. I'd rather pay someone who has more practice to do it as well. i think there is a shop near Orland, FL that works on Nissans, turbos etc. I'll look into it.

Any info, links or otherwise, thanks in advance. Oh yeah and thanks for the info, above.

I am currently running Dunlop SP 9000's. Here in Florida wet traction during the summer is important to me. The Goodyear Eagle RS-A's had a tendencey to hydroplane when stopping at stop signs or exit ramps. I have over $500 in damage from where I hit guard rail exiting 275 around 30 MPH. The car skidding and spun, I stopped the spin, but had no traction to stop the slide, so I aimed the bumper, hoefully trying to minimize the damage, but still managed the slight bend the fender. I would rather use that $500 for mods or something, darn it. That's why I bought the Dunlops. I haven't hydroplaned yet. Oh yeah, I did hydroplane going 80 on the highway once. I hit a puddle and the car started to slide to the right, I corrected but when the tires caught taction it spun me around, I was going backwards and slid into the median, of course by then my engine cut out because I was rolling backwards. Oh yeah, I do have an auto, as when I was looking it was the only one I could find. Man they were hard to come by new back then.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That hydroplane where I spun going 80 was on the Goodyear Eagle RS-A's. I loved the traction they had in the dry, they sucked in the wet. The Dunlops though are great.

·
Registered
448 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snaz_89:
Can you install 215/50 R15 tires on the stock rims, without rubbing? I was told by a couple of dealers that it would rub. The difference in the 215/50 vs 195/55 is very minimal and in my opinion better than say 205/50's. Any thoughts?

Just curious, as I just invested a significant amount of money on tires, so I won't be doing it anytime soon.
</font>
You can fit 225's up front on a B14 with no problems so yes they will fit.

I'm currently running 215/40/17's that are 23.8" tall with no troubles at all.

[This message has been edited by Jay Hass (edited 12-31-2000).]

·
Registered
496 Posts
i ran (run) 225-50-15 R1s on the stock rims...no rubbing, no problem...215s will fit easy..!! Alot of sidewall for a street tire though..I'd get the Yokohama AVSs 205 50 15 shorter sidewall almost same footprint. Quciker turn in little better acceleration..cars feels sharp not mushy on 205s too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts