SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there is a good possibility of me trying to put some cams in my car late next week or early week 2 weeks from now, question is, when I remove my chain tentioner, will the chain slip off of the crank or will it stay there? I had the valve cover off yesterday and it does not look like it would be hard at all if the chain would not slip off the crank.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
(feel bad saying this, but it's the best answer I could give) you might wanna search the se-r mailing list archives because this topic was dealt with in the last week or so. I read it all but am not familiar with anything in that area of the car so I didn't really understand what they were saying. Something about putting something under the chain tensioner I think. I will email Naji since I remember him being included in this discussion and ask him to reply to your post here.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well ben, I did read the archives and am not totally sure where to wedge the piece of wood or whatever they say to wedge it at, I have a good guess, but this is something I do not want to guess at b/c I like the way my car starts in the morning :)

·
_______
3,640 Posts
The chain will not slip off the crank. as long as you zip tie the sprockets and remember the position of them you will be all set.

Mike with cams and start up clatter :)

·
_______
3,640 Posts
The sprocket (ie.cam sprocket)is what the cams are bolted on to. They also have the timming chain running around them. The timming chain connects to the crank sprocket. You know that already. Sooo I guess you could call it a gear but its really not. Reason why.... Gears are run off of other gears. Sprockets are run off of chains.... Sounds good rite?

Mike,Still looking for axles,Waiting for a good weekend to put ES motor mounts inserts in, looking for rims to put the DOT drag radials on, Immagining whats its like to have a tranny with VLSD and watching Elissa Milano pretend she's a witch.

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
That's pretty much what I thought, but never connected the chain/no chain thing. :) I even know what the word flange is too! :)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so basically, pull the tentioner, zip tie the sprokets, pull the cams, replace the cams, reset the tentioner and put it all back together? (I know it is harder than that, but is that basically it?)

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Yup... Get a Haynes manual or FSM, inch pound tourque wrench,foot pound tourque wrench, 24mm socket's deep and shallow,1 inch wrench,big ass bracker bar and other assorted wrenches and sockets. Tourque sequence is a *Must*. Read the FSM sequences at least twice before the install(I went over it for a week!). Then when the time comes to do it remember to relax and take your time.

Mike

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool, I got the haynes, although I will have access to a service manual pretty soon, so it will be better. I'll try to get them asap and put them in as soon as I get em' and let yall' know what I experienced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts