SR20 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dillema...I have a primera engine, but I never swapped the intake manifolds, so...no EGR, now I heard from some people that the car wont run as good without the EGR, and others said it doesn't really matter. I have had the engine in my car for about a year now, and I feel it runs good, but I am curious if it actually does run better with a USDM manifold.:confused: :confused:

I am guessing all the EGR stuff is somehow programmed in the ECU, and would getting an ECU with a program for no EGR system make any difference?

Any help is appreciated.

·
former pulsar car whore
1,397 Posts
Why change something that's working? If your car runs fine without it then why bother?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
jigga what!?

Bro, you pulled some good numbers on your dyno run!!
Dont go fudging it up, MAN!!!

To death with the EGR!!!!
Mine is disconnected.

"B, is for
bad ol' EGR "

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes sir...sir, i will not fudge things up..i just got curious if my car could be doing even better if it was done right, know what i mean. but yeah, i blame those good dyno #s on the Pacesetter!!:D

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah dude leave it be. Dont go messing around with ur pacesetter power. :D

·
Off-Topic lurker..
3,122 Posts
dude, it wouldn't hurt to try and find a JDM ECU for cheap. maybe someone has one..maybe that would give you the gain in performance you are looking for instead of swapping manifolds..

·
Seeing red
2,084 Posts
Toss it!

The EGR dumps exhaust gas back into the intake manifold, so I'd welcome the opportunity to remove it.

I plugged up my car's EGR with vacuum caps, and I haven't missed any sleep over it. You can read my thoughts:

http://SERJimR.tripod.com/egr.html

My car runs better with the EGR valve plugged. Before, it had been causing some low-RPM hesitation, which isn't uncommon on high port cars.

If you don't want that JDM intake manifold, you can send it to me. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Fast91SER wondered:
I am guessing all the EGR stuff is somehow programmed in the ECU, and would getting an ECU with a program for no EGR system make any difference?
Yes, EGR is programmed into the stock ECU. You can get the non-EGR map from JWT. I did that (since I had the JWT ECU anyway) after I removed all emissions stuff.

If you don't modify the ECU, your car will run rich at idle since the ECU is expecting the additional air (as dirty as it may be) from the EGR at idle. This may contribute to poor idle characteristics, particularly when cold, and the usual running-rich stuff.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here's a question, what do all you folks with pacesetter headers do with your EGR? It doesn't have a fitting. Andy (Andy92RubyClassic) and I will be installing one on his car pretty soon, what should we do with his EGR?

·
Premium Member
11,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Josh, the Pacesetter header you got might be for a 95+ SE-R.

Mine came with the fittings for the AIV and EGR, but I had them eliminated once I got the JDM engine.

I guess I will leave mine the way it is, thanks Jim for the helpful page. If the times comes for me to get an ECU, I will specify to adjust it to how my car is.

Also, I dont think my car runs rich, I dont have any idle problems, and when its cold, it just runs like a champ :D

Thanks again for all your help guys, I will not mess with the intake manifold, and just start saving up for an ECU...or if anyone has a Primera ECU, they want to sell, let me know:D

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was just wondering about that, it's not for my car, and we haven't ordered it yet (still in the planning stages). I was going by the info in the JCWhitney catalog that didn't mention that it had EGR fittings. Good to hear that it does, that will make instalation a lot simpler. I suppose one of us could ask and make sure they send one with EGR when we make the order. I don't think they sell one for a 95+ anyway.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you don't modify the ECU, your car will run rich at idle since the ECU is expecting the additional air (as dirty as it may be) from the EGR at idle. This may contribute to poor idle characteristics, particularly when cold, and the usual running-rich stuff.
Not so. Check your FSM. The normal operation of EGR is during highway cruising ie: low rpm cruising. At idle and WOT EGR should be closed. EGR recirculates exhaust gases thru the manifold to reduce combustion temprature and improve fuel economy. How's that? Exhaust gases are hot! Yes, they're hot, but they're inert. The inert gas takes up space in the chamber, but since there is no oxygen in the gas, you can cut back on fuel and still maintain proper air/fuel ratio.

On my KA24 I could reset an EGR induced check engine light by flooring it a few times, not so on this ECU. You get the light. It stays on. The bugger :)

I don't know what JWT does with their ECUs and how they handle EGR programming, but I wouldn't pay extra for it. ;)

Cheers,
Charlie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts