SR20 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any time there has been moisture present (rain, heavey dew, frost like today) the belts on my girlfriends 200SX squak. Actually more of a chirp but I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about. It is only when moisture is present but as we are entering winter, now is the time to fix it. Its gotten very annoying. Everyone and their dog has told me to "hold a bar of soap to the inside of the belt". I'm sure that works but wouldn't be very safe on this car and I figured more performance oriented people would have a better suggestion. At least tell me if this is safe or not (will it cause the belts to slip).

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
To Kill a Squaking Belt

SQUAK! SQUAK! SQUAK! SQUAK!

SQUAK! SQUAK! SQUAK!

SQUAK! SQUAK!

"DIE MOTHERFUKR! DIE!"

SQAAAAAaaaaaaak!

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

[This message has been edited by NismoPC (edited 10-16-2001).]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nismo, those are some crazy smileys!

------------------
95 200SX SE-R--> Hot Shot CAI, Custom Apexi Cat Back, ST Shifter & G4 Hotshot Headers, Viteks and Iridium, B&G springs, 91 Cams, NOS 50 Shot, 17" Konig Tantrums wrapped in Nitto's, a bunch of stiffening and look good crap, JWT CPU COMING SOON!

·
Registered
201 Posts
A squeaky belt usually means that it needs to be tightened or replaced. Have you inspected the belt to see what condition it is in? If it is hard and cracked looking, you'll need to replace it or it's eventually going to break.

Ben
'93 NX

·
-
3,560 Posts
Can squacking come from belts being too tight?

------------------
Louis
91 Sentra SE-R
10:1 Jspec w/JWT PP, ECU, POP, HS Hedr &
BAD PAINT

·
P10 Geek
1,565 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by llaprad1:
Can squacking come from belts being too tight?
</font>
For some reason this is really bugging me as can be seen from my prior post.

It is squeaking NOT squaking

------------------
Brandon
'96 G20 ($tillen/K&N intake, '91 intake cam, 17 degrees, custom 2.25" Borla cat-back exhaust)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I have the same problem with my belts. Its annoying as hell...

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The belt is a little over three years old with about 55,000 miles (stock on a '98). It has been doing it for probably about 15,000 miles though. Just started one day after it rained. It was late last night and I had just driven home so the engine was too hot to really work around, but the top belt looks fine, no cracks. I don't know how tight it should really be but its not loose by any means. The lower belt I could not grab and feel for tension but it looked as good as the other. Any links for a site that describes changing/tensioning belts. I must admit I do not know the exact procedure but I hear its fun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I went to SE-R.net and found the belt changing procedure. But the article does not address how to determine proper tension. I don't want to go and make them too tight. Also, how often do you guys change your belts? I thought at 55,000 it wouldn't be that bad considering my Cutlass has over 160,000 miles and appears to have the original belt. I just want to stop this squeaking so I can let the car warm up peacefully every morning. If the belts not cracked (aged) is it just tension or are there other possible variables?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I just really want to get rid of all the squeeks and creaks on the car and this is one of the last ones.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sfhellwig:
So has anyone had this problem and fixed it? I just really want to get rid of all the squeeks and creaks on the car and this is one of the last ones.</font>
YES, I have had the problem, still do, just randomly squeeks...hehe..go here and see if this helps you out.
http://www.sr20de.net/engine/change_belts.html
Later...

------------------
-----
~~Ryan
Got 5-th gear pop-out problem?(FROM TalkingEAR) http://www.petitiononline.com/44ndone/
Damn it...I want an SE-R...NOW I HAVE ONE!! Bone Stock though...: (
Now its wrecked... :(( STILL PULLS HARD TO THE REDLINE THOUGH!!
to see pictures of my hooptie go to http://photos.yahoo.com/slogypoop/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts