SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to figure out which Tomei Cams to order from japan for my BB det.

poncam / procam, and which engine for... I know what specs I want, I'm looking at the 260' / 11.2mm or 12mm but Im wondering which ones will actually fit in the motor?

The RWD (s13/14) cams apparently dont fit properly, or require modifications? I think Tomei list cams for a primera sr20de setup (front drive) are these the cams to buy?

can someone please help me out with which ones to order? Or perhaps what did you order...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
TOMEI PON CAM.
no need to purchase the valve spring and retainer
due to lower lift

TOMEI PRO CAM
you need the aftermarket valve spring and retainer
the lift is around 12 if i not forgetten

you need SOLID type.
not RUSH type ( VTC )

That why they got listed solid and rush type for SR20DET

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cmng said:
TOMEI PON CAM.
no need to purchase the valve spring and retainer
due to lower lift
TOMEI PRO CAM
you need the aftermarket valve spring and retainer
the lift is around 12 if i not forgetten
you need SOLID type.
not RUSH type ( VTC )
I see. I have already the Tomei rocker stopper kit and tomei valve springs.

I'm wondering which ones i need to fit in a front-drive sr20 !? dont you have to modify the cams to fit?

or will all the tomei sr20 cams fit in?

Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
surely someone on this forum has fricking tomei cams in their motor. jesus christ, how hard is it to reply and say "hey man, I bought -these- tomei cams and they went straight in-

sheesh!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
most dont mess with anything but JWT here in the states. For the money you get more HP.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Umm, I'm in Australia. I dont want to start a sh1t fight, because it's a pointless debate, but honestly, JUN, Tomei, HKS are just as good as JWT, and it all comes down to the application and what your requirements are. Let's not get technical and lets not all whip out "dyno readings". What a crock.

If I could get JWT's in my hands for a decent price, I'd consider it. I know how good JWT stuff is. However I also know how good the other gear is too, and its ease of obtaining.

I believe my original post was re which Tomei cams I require that will suit my east/west sr20 (U12), not... which type of cams to buy. I won't be going off topic on this one.

Thanks,

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I'm calm! :)

still, your not at all paying attention to my question.

I know what cam specs I want to buy, and tomei make them, no problemo. BUT... I need to know if the cams will fit in my motor. I read somewhere that the RWD cams do not fit in a FWD engine (because the exhaust cam is too long, or something to do with the dizzy on the end of it, which the RWD doesnt have, etc).

Really I need to know who has bought tomei cams for their FWD car. Which ones did they get poncam or procam, and for what motor (primera FWD, or a RWD sr20det), etc..... did you need to modify the exhaust cam? trim it down or alter the sprocket washer or...

Thanks again! *sigh*

·
BTCC VE Power
5,151 Posts
the only difference is a dowel pin... cams for SR20's usually come with the short dowel pin, which drops right in the motor... if it comew with a rwd dowel pin then you just bring it to a machins shop and they can swap pins...

·
Bad luck se-r
31 Posts
I would like to know the answer to that question. I'm thinking of getting a set of tomei cams because in Japan tomei knows their sh*t when it comes to nissan. If you can't get an answer call A.E.B.S they can tell you . I have some JWT stuff on my car and they do not inpress me and if I had to do over it wouldn't be JWT it would be tomei . If you can't find the # I will reply with the # if you don't have a answer. Sorry I don't have an answer but I can put you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
well nobody owes you an answer either, dont come on here coping an attitude and demanding answers for stuff you can search on. Calm down and get the sand out of your vagina. All I'm saying is not many people in the states have done much with these because untill recently they've been hard to come by. Nor has there been much info on them here. I dont doubt they're good because I myself am considering HKS cams for a silvia.

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
cmng said:
you need SOLID type.
not RUSH type ( VTC )

Be carefull.

SOLID type are ONLY for GTi-R OR engines that have the SOLID-LIFTER modification valvetrain. It has nothing to do with VTC.

All SR20DE(T) engines (except the GTiR) come from the factory with hydraulic lash adjusters and the RUSH-TYPE is the correct one for those. VTC-specific cams are designated as such.

In brief: "You need RUSH type" cams.

Chris

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
civicdragon said:
the only difference is a dowel pin... cams for SR20's usually come with the short dowel pin, which drops right in the motor... if it comew with a rwd dowel pin then you just bring it to a machins shop and they can swap pins...
CIVICDRAGON is correct.
Intake cam drops right in.
Exhaust cam has a longer dowel pin. Take it to a shop, have them remove the long one and substitute it with a short one from your FWD exhaust cam.

Chris

·
SE-R GREEK
2,581 Posts
PULSSSAR said:
Im trying to figure out which Tomei Cams to order from japan for my BB det.

poncam / procam, and which engine for... I know what specs I want, I'm looking at the 260' / 11.2mm or 12mm but Im wondering which ones will actually fit in the motor?

The RWD (s13/14) cams apparently dont fit properly, or require modifications? I think Tomei list cams for a primera sr20de setup (front drive) are these the cams to buy?

can someone please help me out with which ones to order? Or perhaps what did you order...

Thanks
Both will fit (see previous message about dowel pin).
Just make sure what you order is not for a VTC motor.
Now, if you go with the PROCAM you will need to fork some more $$ for the spring and retainers since the lift on those requires the springs for proper operation.

Chris

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
There is no need to repin tomei cams, you can get any of their cams with the correct pin already for a fwd det.

What turbo do you have? Since you already have valve springs, I'd look at either the 260/260 12s for a smaller turbo, or 270/270 12.5s if you've got a larger one. Part numbers ********* & ********* for the 260s, ********* & ********* for the 270s.

JWT cams rule because they offer the largest cams you can buy without replacing valve springs. Period.

If you want to get a handle on what kind of cams other companies offer check you my list at: http://web.utk.edu/~cjohns32/camlist.htm I havn't got the correct part numbers for fwd tomei cams listed yet, so ignore those. I've been working on a large update, hopefully will have it finished soon.

edit: My mad cut and paste skills have failed me, see post below for corrected numbers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
calum, your a great help, do you mean
IN : 1431260120
EX : 1432260120
(the above for lash type PROCAM to suit PS13/14/15 but not for NVCS engines) ?

The numbers you listed are for the solid type cams.
So when I order the cams, I just say they are for a FWD DET, and they will put the correct pins in?

As for turbo, I havent decided, but it will be something along the lines of a GT25 base (around 300hp). I have the tomei rocker stopper kit, valve springs, valve guides, and I'm going with the adjustable cam sprockets too. taa

Many thanks guys!

·
ClamSlut
5,043 Posts
Sorry, I cut and pasted the wrong lines. My bad.

1431260120 & 143J260120 for the 260s, 1431270125 & 143J270125 for the 270s.

I'd pick the 260s for a GT25, but don't throw rocks at me if they suck. :)

Yea, you _should_ be able to just specify you want fwd cams, but I'd give them the part numbers too. Tell them to look under the "p10" application, lash type.

edit: the intake part number you listed is correct (they're the same, fwd & rwd), but I don't think the exhuast is. I listed the correct number above. When you buy them, make sure the distributor verifies this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have the 270 12.5 mm exhaust and the 270 12.5 NVCS ...I look over it and don't see any difference and other cams sell them to work with both....what could actually be the difference i'm pretty sure it will work just have to change the dowel pin on the intake or exhaust cam I forget which.....I got the cams with one cam gear(tomei) and both cams brand new for 375 shipped on EBAY

We'll see what they do all motor then turbo

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've recently discovered that Tomei ship both sets of dowel pins with the CAMS that you purchase. neato.

·
Registered
5 Posts
While were on the suject of Tomei cams I am running a T35 hybrid which will make 430fwhp. Would u recommend the 260 or 270 and why? I have gone for 260 12mm lift atm but may be able to change the order.

Ta

Nad

1 - 20 of 25 Posts