SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running the cams and if so how do you find them? Was is possible to Dial them in for a Streetable Power band?

I know a few of the Boosted Boys in Oz who are running these cams without any major loss in street Drivability, just wondering who here N/A has used them?
Anything you can come up with will be good, pros and cons, so if you dont think they will be streetable, dont be afraid to pipe up and say so, im not gonna flame you, i wanna know.

Before you go and say anything thou, i am aware of what is going to be required to run these puppies ie Springs, Valve Guides, stem seals.
Anyone see the need for Anything else eg Retainers?

All comments welcome, Thanks in Advance.

·
Always Different !
812 Posts
I am presently running the 270/12.5 Solid Lifter cams. Inlet is a 110 lobe center and the exhaust is a 115 lobe center. I run Tomei's red coded springs and their retainers. I do not use bronze guides or have special valve seals. It works just fine without all that expense. The motor is NA but unfortunately, it's a race car so I do not know about how streetable it will be. I should think the 260's should be oK though.
Tomei tend do build dual purpose cams, in that when I spoke to Japan for my cams they offered me the same cams as thy would sell for the Turbo motors.
I have not been dissapointed though. Peak torque is at 6400rpm with a very flat profile all the way across. Peak hp is at 7600rpm, but falls off very rapidly after 8000. Motor makes 73bhp at 3500rpm. Should get some more with the 260's. Most of your driveability at 260 degree duration would be your exhaust design and ECU control. You will loose btm end, but it's 2 litres, should be ok to get to church on Sunday.
I have had the motor up to 9000rpm on two third gear runs on the dyno and the valve springs are good for it. My ECU allows me to flat shift at 8000rpm and I have not had problems with the valve train.
One word of advise. Buy Tomei's test shim kit and a range of adjuster shims if you go with solid lifters. If you run into clearance problems you can us hardened shim stock below the lifter in the pocket to get the clearances needed. Check the cam wipe impression with blue on the rocker before you close up the head. Use Andreas' suggestion of using the slotted locating shim on both sides of the rocker. Use Tomei's Rocker Stopper plates.
Also, if you go solid, take the head off and remove the two oil control jets to the head that sit in the block. Have two smaller ones made, If I remember correctly they are 2mm, you can take them down to 1mm. Same problem with excessive flow to the heads as on the RB26DETT of the R32 and 33 Skylines.

At 2000lbs I can stay with NA professionally built 2 litre Civic's that are dry sumped and peripheral ported 3rd gen rotaries. Hope to be able to pass with my new gear box.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
overloaded with info dude, Muchly muchly appreciated!

Im not going to go with the Solid lifters man, as far as i can see there wont be a need for them as the 260/12s are designed ot be used with the Hydraulic lifters.

As for the Guides, thanks for your input there, im just worried that when the head gets dissassembled they may be damaged, my just be paranioa thou.

Cheers for your input thou man.

·
Registered
441 Posts
AWK666 said:
overloaded with info dude, Muchly muchly appreciated!

Im not going to go with the Solid lifters man, as far as i can see there wont be a need for them as the 260/12s are designed ot be used with the Hydraulic lifters.

As for the Guides, thanks for your input there, im just worried that when the head gets dissassembled they may be damaged, my just be paranioa thou.

Cheers for your input thou man.
when you change the springs you don't need to remove the head so no valves will get damaged they make valve spring kits that use air compressors and a special valve spring kit for a OHV engine it works wonders

·
54C PWNS ME
1,840 Posts
Props to you bigtoe. Just how much power do you make? I have always been amazed by Tomeis solid lifter setup. What engine management are you running? Reytec by any chance? I know they make an hp10 application.. AWK666, if your staying na go with Ss or S5s. Tomei makes most of their grinds for DETs iirc.

·
Professor Dingbat
5,543 Posts
I do not use bronze guides or have special valve seals.
I take it bronze valve guides are to reduce friction between the valve stem and the valve guide?

·
Always Different !
812 Posts
Bronze serves a couple of purposes, friction reduction through their inherent micro porosity, softer than steel so they wear rather than your valves but primarily better heat discipation characteristics back to the cylinder head.

·
Always Different !
812 Posts
200bhp at 7600, 155 ft/lb at 6400 all SAE corrected on a manual brake DynoJet. 2025cc (+0.030") Tomei 270/12.5 cams at text book timing, Autronic SMC ECU with v1.99 Autotune Chip. 12:1 JE symetrical pistons, Sunoco 112. Wet Sump.
4 x 51mm 4deg tapered type SF Jenvey Dynamics Throttle Bodies (BTCC Primera spec) with 90mm long Ram Pipes. Custom air box. It's a "low port" 53J head with hand porting and chamber polishing. Sodium filled exhaust valves.
Dual Crane HI6S ignitions on HSD Dual Post Coils, allows multi spark up to 8000rpm as the ignition duty cycle is 50% on each. RC 550cc high impedence injectors (14mm Bosch). <70% duty cycle at 8000rpm.
Do not ask about 1/4mile times. I check the length of my willy in the bed room.
Maps are TPS only with volumetric efficiency tables built around fuel density, injector headder absolute pressure and mass flow with Wide Band EG Analyzer feedback to ECU (for tuning only). No guessing in milliseconds or thinking in hexadecimal like most of the others.
Motor vents via a Hot Shot Euro Spec Headder (do not know the gen#) "Tri Y" to a 2-1/2in 6ft long full bore tail pipe.
All kinds of other crap, blown up a few and built them back each time sorting through the weaknesses. Hoping the C6M is not a heap of crap. I'm pretty sure that by the time the rockers close up on and leave behind 14thou of clearance the C6M is going to be more like a 286 cam. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
great info in this thread, thanks guys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
JimmyNX2000 said:
AWK666, if your staying na go with Ss or S5s. Tomei makes most of their grinds for DETs iirc.
I beleive the Tomeis work just as well with DET's as the do with DE's, im currently running the Tomei Poncams (260/11.2) in a JDM 10:1 with a fidanza flywheel breathing throught a 2.5" zaust coupled with a 4-2-1 header, this combo gave me a rather comfortable 105FWKW (140.7HP)
Im looking specifically at the Tomeis as they are far more readily available here in Oz and as far as i can see are also considerably cheaper than the JWT (landed of course) I beleive one of the Members on PGA is running the S3's and payed almost 1000AUD for them, i can get the tomeis into Australia for around 800AUD.

SR20loper said:
when you change the springs you don't need to remove the head so no valves will get damaged they make valve spring kits that use air compressors and a special valve spring kit for a OHV engine it works wonders
The head is coming off either way man as there will be some minor headwork being performed. Thanks for that thou, handy to know. just have to make sure you dont drop the valve stem into the combustion chamber!

Once agian , thanks for the info guys, keep it coming.

·
Always Different !
812 Posts
Which part of OZ are you from AWK66?
I can head you in the direction of some serious power a dyno and a guy who knows his ****.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bigtoe said:
Which part of OZ are you from AWK66?
I can head you in the direction of some serious power a dyno and a guy who knows his ****.
Im in Sydney man.

·
Always Different !
812 Posts
Hyperdrive Motorsports, Perth Western Australia, some place called Malaga.
011-61-89-209-3100. Ask for Glenn. I have dealt (parts) with Glenn for the past two years and he's safe, professional and reliable. Tell him the yellow B12 from across the Atlantic sent you.
If one thing leads to another I'd expect courtesy to guide you, so please maintian the anonymity of my "bigtoe" forum name.
Spend the money, keeping it in the bank sucks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bigtoe said:
011-61-89-209-3100. Ask for Glenn. I have dealt (parts) with Glenn for the past two years and he's safe, professional and reliable. Tell him the yellow B12 from across the Atlantic sent you.
If one thing leads to another I'd expect courtesy to guide you, so please maintian the anonymity of my "bigtoe" forum name.

Cheers for the pointer thou Perth is about a 3 day drive from Sydney :lol:

Ive already been told to head up to Isight Motor sport in Sydney here, jsut near Eastern Creek Raceway (conveinient) so im headin out there, appreciate it anyway, if i need anything ill keep that in mind thou, and dont worry, i wont go dropping names.

I agree, moneys Made round to go round, your not born with it and you cant die with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
AWK666 said:
Ive already been told to head up to Isight Motor sport in Sydney here, jsut near Eastern Creek Raceway (conveinient) so im headin out there, appreciate it anyway, if i need anything ill keep that in mind thou, and dont worry, i wont go dropping names.
AWK, let me know what these guys are like, heard the are OK but havn't had a chance to get out there and check it out.

I've actually been researching the same CAMS....... but am still waiting for my headers, once that's all done I'll be looking at these

MiK

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I too have heard really good things about Scott. I dare say that youll be on the Tuning Band wagon before me thou, so if you make it there before me, also let me know how it went.

·
Registered
436 Posts
bigtoe said:
Yeh Lumpy is a damn good tuner, he's well known in australia. He is also the Australian JWT distributer i believe

·
NXTACY
311 Posts
whose Lumpy??? I want me some S4 or S5s!!!! and at what price does he sell them for???

·
Always Different !
812 Posts
Glenn's nick name is lumpy. Give him a call at Hyperdrive Motorsports:
011-61-89-209-3100

·
as loyal as my options
584 Posts
i have the tomei poncams in 256 w/ 11.5mm lift i have the compcams valve springs in there with them i didn't pull the head to swap the springs just used air pressure and the valve compressor (it is a serious pain in the ass).i haven't gotten the car on a dyno but there is a great increase in power from 4,000 to redline. i haven't done any computer work and the car idles like stock. i am planning on getting adjustable cam gears cuz i have heard they respond greatly to tuning.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts