SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the infamous chain rattle off the top chain guard. after reading a few posts, i found that the top chain guard is pretty useless, and that nissan actually stopped putting them on. My friend wanted to see where exactly the chain was hitting the guard, so i went in and turned it over (spark plugs removed of course), as i was turning it over he kept telling me to keep going. finally i got out and asked him what he was watching, he said watch the exhaust cam, he went in and turned the key, and the exhaust cam gear actually "wiggles", either the cam gear is bent, or the end of the JWT cam is bent. anyway i took the guard off, no more noise. I'm really really sure that we did the install right of the JWT s4's to begin with, so why would that cam gear be wiggling, i even cranked on cam bolt to make sure it was tight, and it was. Do you think that exhaust cam left JWT already bent? and if it did, would they honor a replacement? hmm i don't know. what do you guys think?

·
Coropate greed hater
4,044 Posts
I remember telling you to take off the guard a long time ago, Howard. Its good that you finally did. I have no idea about your wiggle problem. Hope its nothing too severe. Good luck.

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
IXLR8se-r said:
finally i got out and asked him what he was watching, he said watch the exhaust cam, he went in and turned the key, and the exhaust cam gear actually "wiggles", either the cam gear is bent, or the end of the JWT cam is bent.
I have seen this before.

This happens when you do not seat the cam gear cleanly on the end of the cam. This could cause some serious damage! Remove the camgear and line it up again, this time make sure it seats flush and cleanly against the cam.

Good luck.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys, yeah i was hoping that it was the cam gear with the problem and not the cam. looks like this sunday i will be redoing that, great.

·
no..its not my daddys car
1,447 Posts
Ericdd said:
I know I took every one off my bikes as a kid
lol, I know exactly what you are talking about!

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
Ericdd said:
what year did they stop putting the chain gaurd on. I know I took every one off my bikes as a kid

Mid '97 My wife's '97 had it, but I know someone with a '97 made later in the year without it. VE's don't have them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts