SR20 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have used co2 on my i/c before. with very good numbers.

has anyone tried it on their top mount? if so what improvment did you get?

also has anyone tried a water to air setup on their car? i have been working on a set up for my b3 when i get all the work done. i used on on my wifes 98 vw i boosted and on my mitsu mirage turbo. i liked it on both cars. and might stick with it.

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
Short answer: Pretty much everything has been tried here. We've had turbo FWD SR20s for close to 10 years now. Search is your friend.

More detailed answer: Air-water has been used a few times on street cars here. As for CO2 sprayers....I imagine they would work well on TMICs. However, for maybe $80 you can front mount the IC and never have to deal with it again.

·
SE-R Geek / Nissan Tech
814 Posts
seems like if you mounted the CO2 jet between the vc and the tmic, it could be really efficent

·
70/30 Racing
11,372 Posts
CO2 does not have the same heat transfer characteristics as water does, nor the same heat propensity. i can't remember the math on it, but water can hold a huge amount of heat compared to CO2, not to mention its superior heat transfer capabilities.

just because CO2 comes out cold, does NOT mean it will absorb 200* of heat from a 10x8x3" heat sink. keep in mind that with a FMIC, the mass of the air passing through it is HUGE. running CO2 through a skinny 6AN line and shooting it onto the intercooler might make the surface of it cold (and have a slight benefit on a FMIC), but it won't actually cool your intake charge much, nor will it overwhelm the 200* worth of intake heat AND the ambient engine bay heat.

you could spend that $80 on a setup that uses massive quantities of FREE air.

basically, the CO2 IC coolers are gimmicks.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
daveracer said:
Just for the record, serboostsr20 gained 20whp by spraying his i/c at the dyno with nitrous. I know its not co2 or water, but just a fun fact :D
A lot of times you get power from an n2o sprayer on the ic because a lot of the n2o gets sucked into the intake filter after it is sprayed on the IC, giving it a lot of oxygen rich air.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
why not just do alcohol injection instead of spraying the i/c wouldnt that be more effieciant on lowerin the air intake temps than spraying the i/c

·
Wiggatastic!
1,043 Posts
Just for reference, CO2 sprayers may not be as efficent as other methods, but on my 98 GST eclipse, I picked up 2 mph (96mph) with it after running consisitent 94's without it. I know thats not fast at all, but its a decent gain. In any case, front mounting the IC is alot cheaper, and more effective in the long run.

~ Marcus

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
A buddy of mine has a 3rd gen eclipse and he is doing methanol injection. He buys the de-ice stuff from walmart that is half coolant and half methanol. He said it droped his charge temp 50*. He could be full of crap but it is almost like spraying n20 he uses a solenoid to spray his mixture.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
the methanol cooling system kicks arse, ive seen it work very well on a few cameros with the undercarrage turbo set up he goes to the ZONE gets a can of de ice and when his intake temp gets to hot he gives it a 10 second blast and it drops a good 50 to 70 degrees depending on how much he hits it

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
NX$paniard said:
Id have to see it to believe it.... Youd have dump a **** ton of N20 for that to happen...
Nitrous oxide is worthless without additional fuel. Nothing but air. Might be a little cooler....but you still HAVE to add more fuel in order for it to work.

If you watch the Power Tool Drags on TV, there was a group on last week's show that thought they were the shiat by adding a small nitrous line and bottle to their machine.

Silly fools got blown away, and their machine went 0.0mph faster on the run. They didn't add any fuel. Just nitrous.

·
oh so LAZY
9,747 Posts
SERprise In WV said:
Nitrous oxide is worthless without additional fuel. Nothing but air. Might be a little cooler....but you still HAVE to add more fuel in order for it to work.

If you watch the Power Tool Drags on TV, there was a group on last week's show that thought they were the shiat by adding a small nitrous line and bottle to their machine.

Silly fools got blown away, and their machine went 0.0mph faster on the run. They didn't add any fuel. Just nitrous.
Makes perfect sense to me. I was quoting Andreas.

·
Formerly 93veilside240sx
844 Posts
I saw that too and found it absolutely hilarious. I'm very curious about the alcohol injection though. I'm kind of concerned by 91 octane being the highest octane gas up here and its ability to resist knock when I'm running about 12 psi in my USDM DE this summer. I've been looking into the alcohol injection route lately, but it doesn't seem very commonly used among the SR crowd. Either that or I just haven't been looking in the right places.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts