SR20 Forum banner

Top Speed for SE-R?

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
Just wondering, what is the highest speed you guys have reached in your cars with the rev-limiter removed.
If I decide to get a SE-R, I hope I don't miss my preludes ability to hit 145 with no problem.

#3 ·
Well I hit 135 in my classic and was still able to climb but I burned out 5th gear and my muffler in the process. =) My cousin did 140 going up the grapevine with the AC on in his. I also tried a cannonball run going from Fresno to Bakersfield (North Fresno to South Bakersfield) at 120mph all the way through weaving through traffic (yeah *real* stupid... but I was *real* stupid back then... still kinda... but wisening up) =)

Mel

#6 ·
Well people have questioned this before but i was on the other side of 140 dont know what exactly cause i wasnt paying attention to that needle too close. Remember i have an automatic classic so it is geared way different. she pulls pretty good to like 130 but i can defintaly feel it slow down i need a header cause in the higher revs she is a bit choked down i think. lol the auto shifts from 3rd to 4th at 115
remember that these are off the speedo. and the speedo is way off at that end of the scale. the se-r isnt a high speed machine. she's happy 30 to 80 i think

G
#8 ·
I've never personally gone for top speed in my '91 SE-R, but I don't get how you guys are claimed to have hit over 140 when car and driver says the top speed is only 125...

Figures from the March 1991 issue of Car and Driver:

Acceleration
Time to speed Seconds
Zero to 30 MPH 2.5
Zero to 40 MPH 3.9
Zero to 50 MPH 5.4
Zero to 60 MPH 7.4
Zero to 70 MPH 9.9
Zero to 80 MPH 13.0
Zero to 90 MPH 17.1
Zero to 100 MPH 22.7
Zero to 110 MPH 31.5

Top gear passing time, 30-50 MPH 10.4 seconds
Top gear passing time, 50-70 MPH 10.4 seconds

Standing 1/4 mile- 15.8 sec @ 87 MPH
Top speed 125 MPH

#9 ·
Belive it or not my uncle hit over 150mph (probably 155mph) in his se-r! Could have done more but ran into some traffic. It has a stock det with a stock det ECU. The ECU limits at 120mph but we pulled out some wires and tricked the ECU to think that the car has more that 5 gears (you have to push in the clutch every 10mph pass 120mph).

The best time the car did in the 1/4mile was a 12.87@ 114.9mph (stock det, street Nitto 450's, 16's Konig Wildcards, stock ehaust)!

#10 ·
Hey H22A Prelude,

I actually raced a new 'lude with bolt ons body kit etc., I had about a car length and we really got after each other and i held that until i hit an indicated 147..!! I heard SR20 speedos maybe optimistic but and I got nervous about deer, animals, COPS and decided to brake about that time. I was running about 7000 or so in 5th. It gets there fairly quickly too.

Oh, the lude was right there too. We pulled over and chatted a bit he was impressed i could hold him off..so was i until i saw his combat wing on the back, take that off and i am sure he had another 10 mph or so..

gpser96

#11 ·
Sr20 B12- what's that trick? I've never heard of that... how can I do that?
Was yer speedo still on? I've heard you can disconnect the speedo signal or somethig and yer speedo will not function and neither will the speed limiter, but the tach still will so you can calculate it with gear ratios. More info please?
Or if I can do this clutch trick...

G
#12 ·
Well, my 91 did that easily and has done it several other occasions as well. My 2k says top speed 125, I have hit 130+ in it as well. I don't know where c&d gets there tests, but we have done it.

#13 ·
I guess that depends on your hp level. I've slammed the rev limter in 5th (172mph) with the car pulling like train.

I don't know what magazine said 125mph, almost ever published report I have seen for the classic, the car hit over 140mph. I know with all the bolt on's back in the day my optimistic speedo would swing to 145 like childs play.

The best time the car did in the 1/4mile was a 12.87@ 114.9mph (stock det, street Nitto 450's, 16's Konig Wildcards, stock ehaust)!
I find that very, very, very hard to believe.

Was it a GTiR motor? What was he using for a MAF? No way in hell the 58mm MAF will flow enough to support that hp. It just can't happen. You need about 325whp to hit 115mph in the quarter with a 2700lb race weight.

If it was that red car in your profile they listed 109mph. That I can believe. 115mph on the stock exhaust and T28 is VERY far fetched. Sorry.

Jay Hassinger
1997 200sx SE-R Turbo
12.4@116mph @16psi

#14 ·
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN! Never actually heard someone say they actually hit the rev limiter in 5th before
LMAO

Maybe make yourself some custom gears and head out to Bonneville for a FWD speed record

#15 ·
Ben, I have never heard of the trick myself but he told me that one day he decided to disconnect the det ECU and started to see which wire limits what. One morning when he was coming home from work he was racing this Integra and decided to downshift, but he pushed the clucth in and didn't shift and the car went past 120mph. Everytime he does it, the car kind off take a rest and then picks up.

Jay, belive it or not it's that same Caddi Red SE-R that's on my website that ran that 13.1 @109 mph. Yes it is a GTi-R det and yes it is running a stock de MAF (which we smooth out on the inside). But I did make a mistake. The ehaust is not stock, it's a 2 3/4" with full cat a wack Dynomax exhaust.

Don't let the little T28 turbo fool you. That 12.8 run was done with 15psi of boost! The boost can be turned up to 20psi max but he hardly takes it that far. Were going to put some slicks on it for the NIRA event that's coming to Moroso, FL on the 31st. If you don't belive you could come at see for yourself.

Mario Walker
'87 Sentra W/sr20det(GTi-R)
Built up mods:
big T4 turbo
Toda racing cams (det)
Cobra MAF
555cc injectors
Paradise Performace fuel rail
Built up gearbox (with ClutchMasters clutch)
A whole bag a goodies
Looking at low 11's (with radials or slicks)

paradiseracing.homestead.com/home.html

G
#16 ·
Hey Jay,
I remember you from The Pit (remember Evil, Steve, Mr. P., etc.?). my name on there is Chris M.

Lots of people have lots of respect for your car, including me. I would love to get into a SE-R that can to 170+ mph, but I don't see that happening in the near(or distant) future.

I also would like to hear your recommendations as to which year(like in my other post), and what mods I should do first. Money won't be a problem, since I won't be paying $700 a month for my car anymore! Throw me some feedback!

Chris.

#17 ·
Hey Jay,
I remember you from The Pit (remember Evil, Steve, Mr. P., etc.?). my name on there is Chris M.
Lots of people have lots of respect for your car, including me. I would love to get into a SE-R that can to 170+ mph, but I don't see that happening in the near(or distant) future.

I also would like to hear your recommendations as to which year(like in my other post), and what mods I should do first. Money won't be a problem, since I won't be paying $700 a month for my car anymore! Throw me some feedback!

Hey man, thanks for the kind words.

It really depends on your style tastes and what you are looking for in the car.

I'm sorry to be that vague but the difference between a 91 with cams and a 97 with a F-Max turbo kit is pretty big.

Give me some more info on what you want to spend and what you are looking for and I'll be glad to give you my opinion.

B12, if he is pushing that T28 that hard, it's only a matter of time before it explodes. I'm dead serious. I know of several people who made 280whp with the T28 and that only lasted a short time. The T28 is not designed to flow that much air or support that kind of hp.

G
#18 ·
i am looking to spend around $10k for everything, including the car. I can probably find a '93 SE-R for around $4k.
I will probably end up with F/I...no NOS though. I don't want to get caught by CHP.
I basically want an extremely fun car, one that will do 1+ g's in the turns and 12's on the 1520.

Thanks for your input,
Chris.

G
#20 ·
I've hit 128 m.p.h. indicated in my 1996 G20. It's stock with a K+N filter only. Slightly larger (Pirelli HP) diameter tires than stock.

Where's the mystery web link for information about the ECU? I'd like to perform my own mods on the unit to defeat the rev limiter and perhaps extract more performance without hte trouble and downtime of bolt-on items.

G
#21 ·
I found this info on SE-R.net, it might be of use..

The left column in top speed, the middle column is required wheel hp for the classic sentra and the right column for the nx2000.

Top Speed SE-R (Cd .35) NX (Cd .31)
125 119 105
130 131 119
135 143 132
140 157 145
145 171 160
150 188 175

They note that the speedo on these cars is known to be up to 10 mph off, which could account for such high top speeds. Incline and wind can also make a big difference...

[Edited by Doug H (09-26-2000 at 09:12 PM).]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.