SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
first, you were probably not at 140, if you were going by your speedo, then it is WRONG!
the car has a rev limiter which cuts it off at about 130mph, and it won't go any faster. it sucks when you're racing those damn german cars.... i thought i had broke the damn car, and then i remembered...anyways, get an ecu upgrade...it'll fix that.

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have hit 130mph on my speedo.
And as far as i know, i dont have a limiter.

------------------
Kris94G20™
87 Pulsar

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
I didn't think 91-94 SR20DE powered cars had speed limiters?

And I've hit an indicated 140 in my Turbo Sentra SE

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
we all have limiters unless we have had our ecus upgraded. the rev limiter cuts off at like 8000-8100, which limits the speed of the car to around 138mph..i'm not sure exactly what it is, but 8000-8100 rpm in 5th equals about that. i have pushed my car that hard before. it happens. trust me.

secondly, your speedometer is wrong.
it is calibrated to work around the top of the sweep (45-70 MPH) so it is incorrect that high up there...

------------------
1993 NX2000
with stuff.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
my pulsar would do around 130 mph. the speedo topped out somewhat lower than that, but I had a buddy who had a mustang and we ran side to side. I was also in a blown t/a doing about 160 racing a bike (bike speedo was used on this trip) almost peed my pants on that trip.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You guys have got to remember that a Speed Limiter (MPH) and a Rev Limiter (RPM) are two different things.

FYI, I've taken the car up to an indicated 125mph. God, I love having no speed limiter, although I wish I had a higher redline. =(

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
stuff stuff and stuff... needs better driver

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I heard somwhere that the rev limiter cuts in at 7800rpm, and that is about when mine cuts in. Don't want to sound like a dick but I know for a fact the 91-94 classic SR20 powered cars didn't have a speed limiter, but yes all SR20s of any year have a rev limiter, but not all a speed govenor. Most speed limiters are determined by the speed ratings of the tires. I am not sure what the speed rating of the stock tires are on a 95 and up, but the speed rating on the stock tires of a "classic" SR20 for example, are V rated (at least thats what the tire label on my door jamb says).

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 93aztecnx2k:
I heard somwhere that the rev limiter cuts in at 7800rpm, and that is about when mine cuts in. Don't want to sound like a dick but I know for a fact the 91-94 classic SR20 powered cars didn't have a speed limiter, but yes all SR20s of any year have a rev limiter, but not all a speed govenor. <snip>
</font>
You're not sounding like a dick. You are correct that all U.S. SR20's have rev limiters. It wasn't until the introduction of the B14 200SX SE-R, that the SR20 came with a speed governer. It was governed at 109mph. Boy did that suck! Well, even if I still had my governer, I don't think my car would ever see that speed on an autox course or a road course (with the exception of Willow Springs Raceway.)

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
no speed governer (stock ECU)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">He's not running people off the road and he's now letting faster cars pass him.</font>
Funny that you mention that. I was talking to Zak nillson about that. He says Naji is really bad about that. But oh well.
Hopefully he won't crumple his car before he get's really good.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Subculture:
Funny that you mention that. I was talking to Zak nillson about that. He says Naji is really bad about that. But oh well.
Hopefully he won't crumple his car before he get's really good.
</font>
Yup... Naji was really really bad about that. He ran off Adam Kim at one of the events last year. I didn't see him do that as much at the last event I attended with him. He was actually running slower that usual (I was faster than him at one point... woohoo!) But I guess he got things going by the end of the 1st day and throughout the 2nd day, although I wasn't there to see it.

Scary thing is that if he kills his car, he can afford to buy another one! I guess having money is one advantage of not being married and not having kids.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
"battle ready"

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hey Rollcage!
Does Naji really drive as bad as I hear?
</font>
Heh... Well, he's mellowed down his aggressive driving style a bit. He's not running people off the road and he's now letting faster cars pass him. The talking is still there (check out ClubSi.) Some of the track guys were thinking that eventually, he'll be a better driver than all of us. His commitment to hot-lapping and amateur road racing is unbefounded! I know he'll try to attend almost every track event this year, whether it be at Buttonwillow Raceway, Willow Springs, Or even the tracks up here like Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Thunderhill. If you saw him at the events this past summer, then you would have seen a black '98 SE-R thinking he's racing everyone when really it's just a hot-lapping, high performance driving event.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
"battle-ready"

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Scary thing is that if he kills his car, he can afford to buy another one!</font>
Yeah,he'll probably buy the new SE-R when it's available.
BTW,my NX is running fine,but on the last dyno day,it only put down 139.8HP

I only gained 4.8 HP with the JWT S3's.
Mike figures it's either my header,or my Cat.I just replaced the cat last month. So I guess I better start savin' money for the HotShot header.
BTW,Biggie thinks that the AEBS header is better.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
BTW,my NX is running fine,but on the last dyno day,it only put down 139.8HP

I only gained 4.8 HP with the JWT S3's.
</font>
Hmm... that doesn't sound right. FWIW, my car came up with only 139hp when I dyno'd it up here (I never mentioned it, because the numbers were unusually low.) I have just about every bolt-on mod with the exception of the JWT ECU. I'm thinking it could be the advanced intake cam timing that I've done using one JWT cam gear. Either way it was a 14hp gain over my previous dyno numbers from last year (added header and cams since then.) Hmm... Maybe we both have JWT S1 cams instead of S3's... ack!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Mike figures it's either my header,or my Cat.I just replaced the cat last month. So I guess I better start savin' money for the HotShot header.
BTW,Biggie thinks that the AEBS header is better.
</font>
Based on Chris Pinthong's header comparo a while back, the AEBS header did make more power in the low RPM range, but made about the same top-end power as the Hotshot G3. The Hotshot G4 header should be out soon, however, I do not know of the changes that were made. I'd go with the Hotshot since it's a much easier install, and the collector won't hang down below the crossmember and get in the way of an aftermarket sway bar like the AEBS header does.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R
stuff, stuff, and stuff... needs better driver!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Maybe we both have JWT S1 cams instead of S3's...</font>
AAAAH!!!

Were did you get your cams from? I bought mine from $tillen. They were only $20.00 more than what JWT wanted,and I really didn't feel like going down to SD and then come right back.
I think my cams are S3's. I hope they are! At least that's what the package said.

BTW,I'm not using any cam gears.

[This message has been edited by Subculture (edited 01-07-2001).]

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AAAAH!!!

Were did you get your cams from? I bought mine from $tillen. They were only $20.00 more than what JWT wanted,and I really didn't feel like going down to SD and then come right back.
I think my cams are S3's. I hope they are! At least that's what the package said.
</font>
I bought mine from Courtesy Nissan. There was a group deal going on at the time for the S3 cams. However, Courtesy Nissan was selling the cams at the same price as the group deal price. FYI, I dealt with Vince. My package didn't have anything in it. It was just the cams covered in thick bubble wrap and a receipt of the purchase. It didn't say anywhere that they were S3's... But at the time I purchased them, the S1's had been phased out for quite some time, and I don't think anyone would still have them. Hmm... Must be a '98 SE-R thing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by paradyme:
I never heard of JWT S1 cams, When were those available?</font>
I'm using the term S1 for the 1st generation JWT street cams that were released 3-4 years ago. The S3 cams are the 2nd gen cams, however, I don't know how many different cam grinds that JWT has actually done, meaning, some went into production and some never left their workshop.

Andrew Phan
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
858 Posts
150mph pinned 4 times against 135 mph. legend ,acura integra 130mph,125mph volks gti 92, and maxima 140mph , all times I was ahead at 150 mph pinned so It can't be that much off! depends on what you got! no nitrous and 91 -96 mustangs suffer on the 1/4! that's what sold me on the se-r in 90 low cost , insurance and same 1/4 mile times and 0-60 as the 5.0 sweet then I hooked my bicth up after the lawsuit before she was even paid for! the 5.0 possie around my way still asks me if I want some from a new bee, even though I 'm retired.from the illegal mustang whoopin' scene! 
woohoo!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts