SR20 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried doing a R-12 system upgrade for their A/C? Yeah, I know it's like 10 degrees outside here, but I've come across some retrofit kits that are cheap right now(duh!) and wondered if anyone else has tried doing the upgrade themselves. The car I have has A/C, but it hasn't worked since I bought it, and I'm just assuming it's out of coolant.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't know about the R12 upgrade, but are you sure it's the coolant?
Many cars have a problem with the switch that controls the AC. It could be that. Look on SE-R.net for problems with AC.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
if your car is out of r12, now would be the time to convert b/c r12 is expensive as ****. a/c work is not that hard to do, all you have to get is some specialized tools you can get at pep boys or auto zone. they are little plastic round things that actually pull the lines off of eachother. (the ones with no wrench connections) probably take you a day or so to do taking your time. and when you are done, just go get it checked out, and then fill it. do not just go filling it b/c it might have a leak in the system somewhere still. you will have to hook up a machine that pulls about 30 psi negitive pressure out of the system.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap not really worth mentioning

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm.... So would i be better off just taking it to my mechanic and having him fill the system for 75$(I don't know if it's R-12 or not), or do I attempt a conversion with the Autozone kit for 40$(it has all the fiitings and two cans-one with the coolant, the other with a lubricating oil in it)? Thanks for your help, guys!

·
Registered
858 Posts
75 bucks is great price! save the money and just go to that mechanic.

------------------
91 SE-R,10:1 comp.pistons,comp.4angle valve job,extrude honed heads/intake manifold,RC TB/MAF,nismo cams,UR pulleys,stillen4-1 ceram.header,nismo/centerforce dual fric.clutch,PR CAI,2 1/2 test pipe,mandrel 2 1/4 superturbo ex.,and a whole bunch of other goodies! boost is in the works ,hell yeah 3:16!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK....I'll just be S.O.L. if he fills it and it doesn't work(especially since i'm almost positive he isn't going to use R12), but at least I'll know...Thanks!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts