SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my oil last weekend and found out Purlator Pur-One filters are only made for the Ga16de. (They are the best in my opinion)
So anyway I wasn't going to drive over to the dealer to get a filter so I grab a standard one. (yes yes I know.) So I get over to my dad's garage to do it. He used to have a 91 or 92 Toyota MR2 Turbo and still had two filters left over. They have the anti-drainback valve and are the same size same threads and everything. Don't know what they cost new by here is the part number.

F0-10

The filter is black in color.

Now I know its a Toyota filter on a Nissan car, but hey its got the anti-drainback valve!

------------------
Ralph
91 Aztec Red Sentra SE-R

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
Do any of the aftermarker filters have that valve? How are Fram filters?

------------------
93 NX2000 auto, advanced timing, Hiper Flow POP filter, new motor mounts, 99k miles.

·
Registered
513 Posts
A few months ago I did some extensive research on this subject. I searched all over online as well in the se-r.net archives. I came to a few conclusions:

1) Fram filters suck. NO they do not have an anti-drainback valve and are of poor quality.

2) Pure One and Mobil/K&N filters are the best. The PureOnes are a little cheaper. So, they are preferable. Mobil does make a filter that is made for the sr20, Purolator does not.

3) Purolator does make a PureOne that will fit the sr20 and has almost identical flow specs as to what is called for by Nissan. I can't remember the model, but I will post it soon. I have been using this model for almost 9 months (3 oil changes) without a problem. I highly recommend it. I believe someone on the ser list has been using it for years on his NX.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic
w/ advanced timing & Stillen POP

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
I like the Pure One filters, but Fram sucks ass. I think I've used a Pure One on my SE-R before. As I recall, it was a little smaller than stock, but had the right size hole so it worked.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
How much are the Nissan filters?

------------------
93 NX2000 auto, advanced timing, Hiper Flow POP filter, new motor mounts, 99k miles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">keithert asked:
How much are the Nissan filters?</font>
$4.37 each, plus shipping, from Courtesy Nissan.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi guys, yes please post the part number for the Pur-One filter. I would like to use them on my SE-R. Pep Boy's book and computer did not show a listing. They only showed one for the ga16de.

Thank you.

P.S.
Matt I'm getting a Gen 4 header soon. Wanna get together and help me install? I'll bring the beer.

------------------
Ralph
91 Aztec Red Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by keithert:
Do any of the aftermarker filters have that valve? How are Fram filters?

</font>
Purlator Pur-One have the Anti-drainback valve. Not sure about Mobil 1 filters. And yes Fram sucks.

------------------
Ralph
91 Aztec Red Sentra SE-R

·
Registered
513 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Money Grip:
Purlator Pur-One have the Anti-drainback valve. Not sure about Mobil 1 filters. And yes Fram sucks.
</font>
Yes, Mobil 1 does have an anti-drainback filter. The part number for the PureOne is PL10241. It works great. It's diameter is slightly larger than the normal filter for our cars, but it still seats well without any problems at all

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
nissan filters all the way, but then again, they are pretty available to me.

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big Money Grip:

</font>
I just changed my oil in my SE-R not too long ago, and one of my friends that works at Advanced Autoparts, and he recomended that I use the toyota Pur One oil filter...'cause its shorter and easyer to get in and out...I belive the part nubmer is as fallows!!
PL14476
Good luck!!
YES AND FRAM BLOWS ME! IT SUCKS REAL NICE LIKE! Haha..

------------------
-----
~~Ryan
Got 5-th gear pop-out problem?(FROM TalkingEAR) http://www.petitiononline.com/44ndone/
Damn it...I want an SE-R...NOW I HAVE ONE!! Bone Stock though...: (
Now its wrecked... :(( STILL PULLS HARD TO THE REDLINE THOUGH!!

·
Drive it like ya stole it
6,928 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by brian:
nissan filters all the way, but then again, they are pretty available to me.</font>
Brian, do they have the anti-drainback valve?

Anouther hint...if that part number is wrong, and you have a K&N oil filter avialible, on the packaging of the correct K&N Gold oil filter, they cross reference the correct Pur One oil filter for the SE-R...FYI!!

------------------
-----
~~Ryan
Got 5-th gear pop-out problem?(FROM TalkingEAR) http://www.petitiononline.com/44ndone/
Damn it...I want an SE-R...NOW I HAVE ONE!! Bone Stock though...: (
Now its wrecked... :(( STILL PULLS HARD TO THE REDLINE THOUGH!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SENTRASER:
I just changed my oil in my SE-R not too long ago, and one of my friends that works at Advanced Autoparts, and he recomended that I use the toyota Pur One oil filter...'cause its shorter and easyer to get in and out...I belive the part nubmer is as fallows!!
PL14476.....
</font>
That will work as well, however, the pressure relief for the drainback does not resemble what is specificed for the sr20. That is why the PL10241 is the way to go. Like I said, I researched this pretty thoroughly.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
If the Nissan ones are only $4.37 why use aftermarket?

------------------

·
Registered
513 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by keithert:
If the Nissan ones are only $4.37 why use aftermarket?
</font>
Well, how often do you order from Courtesy. If you're just buying an oil filter or two it's not worth it, IMHO. The shipping costs will make this so. However, I can just grap a PureOne filter, which is better than the Nissan one for $6 at Pepboys when I buy my oil.

------------------
Kevin
93 Ruby Pearl Classic

·
Egg Lover
451 Posts
What do most Nissan dealers charge for the filters?

------------------

·
Registered
92 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kpw97:
Well, how often do you order from Courtesy. If you're just buying an oil filter or two it's not worth it, IMHO. The shipping costs will make this so. However, I can just grap a PureOne filter, which is better than the Nissan one for $6 at Pepboys when I buy my oil.

</font>
http://www.nissan-accessories.com/ offers free shipping on oil filter and other tune-up parts. I bought only one filter from them for $4.47 a couple weeks ago, they really shipped it UPS to you free. I wonder how they make money!

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">kpw97 noted:
If you're just buying an oil filter or two it's not worth it, IMHO.</font>
You're quite right Kevin. It seems obvious, but I usually order oil-change supplies periodically from them, consisting of several filters and a bunch of Redline Oil. They've got decent prices on Redline too.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
jo mom
502 Posts
After returning home from my oil change I discovered I have a Toyota oil filter on my car part # 90915 YZZF2

Hey, at least it's oem something if not Nissan.

It looks like this filter is meant for a variety of 4cyl Toyota's such as prius, mr2, corolla, vibe..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, the YZZA2/YZZF2 is a common Toyota filter. Tiny little bean, but it works. The VE30DE Maxima guys like to use it on their cars, since Nissan dropped the VE-specific filter. They swear by it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts