SR20 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, went to a track day a couple of weeks ago and I burned through a whole new set of PBR metal masters in about 40 laps. I just purchased the NISMO nx2000 brakes, and I love them. Anyone know of some good high temp pads I could swap in for my next track day? I'd really like some EBC Reds, but they don't make them for the AD22vfs. All I can find is Porterfield R4s, which are about $150. Any suggestions?

------------------
-=Matt=- 97 SE-R 94,000smiles+, POP, custom 2.25" exhaust, ACT, Shifter, ST sways, AV22VFs (new!)

·
wants to go play
2,230 Posts
two words: hawk blues.... but not for street use!! they like to eat rotors.

Blair

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
OMG not EBC!!!!! They suck all the ass.

Call Carbotech and talk to Larry Narcus. Get some Panther Plus pads, or have him make you some pads with Hawk Blue material (Hawk does not make a pad for the NX calipers
). Budget $120. They last me 2 weekends or about 5-6 hours of hard track driving. Or you could spend a fortune on Porterfield R4 pads ($180 I think)

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
or call smc and not have to worry about anything.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace,SMC BAKB, motul 600 brake fluid, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never heard of Carbotech. Do they have a website? Any idea of how the Porterfields would hold up compared to either Hawk Blue compound or Panther plus? (What are those?)

------------------
-=Matt=- 97 SE-R 94,000smiles+, POP, custom 2.25" exhaust, ACT, Shifter, ST sways, AV22VFs (new!)

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Driven97:
I've never heard of Carbotech. Do they have a website? Any idea of how the Porterfields would hold up compared to either Hawk Blue compound or Panther plus? (What are those?)

</font>
www.carbotecheng.com Larry will make your head spin with all his brake info. Where did you do a trackday?

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
My take on the pad situation for the NX2000 brakes (which is what I have)

EBC: Redstuff = suckass. Yellowstuff is better, lasts longer, but the coefficient of friction is not good at ~.35. This is worse than some street pads.

Hawk: Their Blue compound kicks ass! However, Hawk does not make any pads for the NX2K calipers. So you have to get Porterfield or Carbotech to make some for you out of Hawk material. Also, the Blue compound eats rotors when they are cold like the Cookie Monster eats Chips A'hoy. NO STREET DRIVING!! Must be changed at the track. Coefficient of friction: I don't know, but when you hit the brakes you'll swear the hand of God is slowing you down.

Porterfield: The finest crafted brake pads I have ever seen. Their R4 compound is what you'll want for track. If you want pads made of Hawk material, no problem. Be prepared to spend A LOT of money on anything from Porterfield. Coefficient of friction: Never asked

Carbotech: Be prepared to talk for a while with Larry. He's got stories and stories and curses like a sailor. Funny guy. He can make you pads out of Hawk material cheaper than Porterfield, but he rivits them together instead of moulding them onto the backing plate. He swears riviting is better. Anyway, pads are quite a bit cheaper than Porterfield. Count on ~$120 for Panther Plus compound (vs. ~$160ish for Porterfield). I use and like very much the Panther Plus pads. The best part? They don't eat rotors when cold like the Hawks so you can change them at home and drive them to the track. 2 thumbs up!! Coefficient of friction: ~.54.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Thanks for the info. -You- are making my head spin. I'm going to print this out and keep it in a spfe place until the spring...

I drive at Gingerman Raceway, it's in the part of Michigan opposite of where your thumb comes out of. You supposedly can see whatever Great Lake is to the west of there on a clear day, but I never have...

A couple of guys just rent the track out for the day. They don't really have any rules or run groups or anything, they just say go out whenever, have fun, and don't hit anything. It's a total blast.

------------------

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Driven97:
Wow! Thanks for the info. -You- are making my head spin. I'm going to print this out and keep it in a spfe place until the spring...

I drive at Gingerman Raceway, it's in the part of Michigan opposite of where your thumb comes out of. You supposedly can see whatever Great Lake is to the west of there on a clear day, but I never have...

A couple of guys just rent the track out for the day. They don't really have any rules or run groups or anything, they just say go out whenever, have fun, and don't hit anything. It's a total blast.

</font>
I went last night to Gingerman. They have wed/thurs test and tune usually 10-15 cars but last night 6-7 total. Best part is it only cost $50 bucks. We ran until we couldn't see anymore. There is something about seeing a sunset while on a race track that is so right.

------------------
Sean
97 SE-R w/PR CAI,Unorthodox UP,AEBS Header, CN Exhaust, 91 I-cam, 138whp/128wtq, Coming attractions: Toda Racing cams

·
Newbie? more like Old-bie
202 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Soupaflie:
I went last night to Gingerman.
</font>
Someday I gotta get over there for some of this stuff. Not this year (too busy) but maybe next year.

But you both (and all other MI-SERs) should've come up to Midland last Sunday for the Saginaw SCCA event on the airport runway. We had a flat out 6-cone slalom that I was well into the revlimiter in 2nd before the last cone, still foot to the floor. Then there was a 180 turn-around that went right back through the same slalom. Then some more offsets that were just amazingly fast.

I managed to swap ends in my car twice (something my car's never done before)! Then I ended up 2nd on the index for the day.

Oh, and we had fun runs, too. =)

Rumor has it that the Detroit SCCA season ender will be at the Palace.

-Larry
sorry for all the off-topic stuff

[This message has been edited by SERCA96 (edited 09-27-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.