SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Friday my brother and I track tested the Hypercoil suspension. As you may recall, we installed a hypercoil/AGX suspension on what was my 1999 B14 SE-L.

Now that the car is his, we took it to the track for its maiden test at Streets of Willow. We were running 225/45/15 Toyo RA1 race tires and had Axxis Ultimate combination pads. The car had a full interior, full tank of gas, and a passanger when I took it out for the first time. We did not even do any tire pressure adjustments and the timing was set at 15 degrees even though we were running 91 Octane gas.

In its first try the car manged 1:37.9. That is a very respectable. My SE-R Cup car (the quickest Cup car at that track) manages a best of 1:32 with similar tires. It can consistently record 1:33-1:34 lap times. We believe that the biggest drag on the car is its weight and its open differential. Nissan lists the curb weight of a 99 B14 at 2593 lbs. Add a full tank of gas and our weight and you will get a 3000 lb car with an hp rating of 137. The race car has a weight of about 2450 lbs with a driver and a full tank of gas and has a 153 hp rating.

another limiting factor for the lap times was the car's open differential. We are certain that with a NISMO LSD the car can pull about 1:35 lap times.

I did not get a chance to drive the car a second time. When we went back to the pits, we advanced the timing to about 17-18 degrees and adjusted the tires to around 33-34 psi hot. Driving alone after the adjustments, my brother was able to pull a 1:37.8 and consistent 1:38 lap times.

Finally, we hooked up my race car with a video camera and I followed the SE-L in the turns. As you can see from the video, the car still has some body roll. This is to be expected for a street suspension, but it is much better than stock. At that point on the track, the car had about 1/2 a tank of gas and my brother was the only person in it. Still those 2800 lbs have a huge impact and cause tremendous weight transfer. The 300/250 springs are just not strong enough to control such weight transfer. Keep in mind that this is a street suspension for occasionla track use. For what it is, the suspension acquitted itself very well.

·
AWD owns me
4,167 Posts
I hope some time in the futrue i'll have a set. Kick ass video. I wisj I had a track like that to race on.
Where are the Streets of Willow?

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
98sr20ve said:
Thats pretty good really. Your track car is a ton lighter and has much stiffer springs with $2K suspension.
I agree, it is very good for the price. The inside wheel spin was pretty evident though. In the video my brother takes wider lines to try and minimize wheel spin. I can take tighter lines in the Cup car since it has a Quaife. We will probably end up installing a Nismo LSD in the car very soon. But overall I was very pleased with the Hypercoils/AGX combo.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
junknstuff said:
thats some good news. i'm waiting on some agx's for my nx so i can finally install the hypercos
You are going to be very pleased with this suspension. You will look forward to get in your car and drive it every day. Since buying my SE-L, my brother has stopped driving his Spec V. He enjoys the SE-L much better :biggthump

·
merely a flesh wound
15,274 Posts
nj1266 said:
You are going to be very pleased with this suspension. You will look forward to get in your car and drive it every day. Since buying my SE-L, my brother has stopped driving his Spec V. He enjoys the SE-L much better :biggthump
I love seeing posts like this. That's the best endorsement anyone could have ever come up with. I wish I was able to get these springs for you guys all the time.

C

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chriscar said:
I love seeing posts like this. That's the best endorsement anyone could have ever come up with. I wish I was able to get these springs for you guys all the time.
C
Thank you for helping produce these great springs. I believe the hypercoils to be the best non-coilover after market spring for the B13/B14. They drop the car just the right amount and they are not jarring on the street and good enough for the occasional autox/track event.

·
Hostile Aberration
4,820 Posts
See my signature, I'm waiting just little longer, a few more bits to buy....... :)

Very nice review.

Now I'm gonna have to go fondle my Hyperco springs again. :D

·
They're just cones!
1,941 Posts
I don't need to be watching a video like that the night before I go to the track, now I'm even more hopped up.

Great review. Naji, your car sounds amazing.

·
REV it up!!!!!
1,579 Posts
wow, the hypercoils are very promising for a street biased setup. Looks like I will have to trade my bro with my GAB/GC setup since he has the AGX/Hypercoil setup.:)

·
8,886 Posts
Now if I could only get more people to choose the short Koni route over the AGX route. Get 63% more travel, a nicer dampening curve, Ext adjustable, and the price went down on the Konis to $138 each.

·
Baby Blue VVL
3,202 Posts
Great vid
What brake set-up are you running on the 99 just the ultimate pads or NX?
What about toe and camber are you using any camber plates?
Any spacers needed for those 225's?

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OnyxEros said:
Great vid
What brake set-up are you running on the 99 just the ultimate pads or NX?
What about toe and camber are you using any camber plates?
Any spacers needed for those 225's?
The car has the NX brakes with SS lines and Motul Fluid. The rear pads are stock. The car has no camber plates. The front alignment is: 1/16 toe out, 1.5 negative. The rear is: 0 toe, and 1.2 negative. We used 5 mm spacers all around even though they are not needed in the rear. The wheels were 15x7 Kosei K1 with +38 offset.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
98sr20ve said:
Now if I could only get more people to choose the short Koni route over the AGX route. Get 63% more travel, a nicer dampening curve, Ext adjustable, and the price went down on the Konis to $138 each.
If you have a set available we can do an NPM write-up on it and promote the hell out of it for you :D We will compare them to the current AGX set-up that we have.

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
daxx said:
wow, the hypercoils are very promising for a street biased setup. Looks like I will have to trade my bro with my GAB/GC setup since he has the AGX/Hypercoil setup.:)
The GAB/GC is a very good set-up as well, but it is a coilover and I did not want a coilover for my daily driver back when I put the suspension together. The hypercoil set-up is whisper quiet while coilovers tend to be noisy. Another thing to consider is that AGX gives a lifetime warranty on their shocks unless you use coilovers. Using a coilover on the AGX, for some reason, voids the warranty on the damper.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts