SR20 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the new SPEC V for an extended test drive!! Fortunately I know the finance manager at Buckeye Nissan in Col, OH. I took it to National Trails Raceway. I posted these avg time slips after 3 or 4 runs each. 0-60 avg 6.9 sec, 1/4 mile [email protected], and 60-0 146ft. Not bad at all, but what impressed me most was the handling. Ignore the smack that Sport Compact Car said about Nissan not making sure the new SE-R is superior to the old one. It may only be a little quicker but the handling and ride are far better. Plus the sound system rocks (for a stock system that is) and the car just looks awsome!! I'm going to post my time slips at my website which sould be up in the next couple of weeks (ColumbusImports.com)

Matt K
------------------------
94 SE-R; JWT POP, HKS Cat-back, Hotshot Header, JWT ECU.

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
Not bad. Sounds like my '92 is quicker right now (1/4 mile < 15 sec), but time and the aftermarket should recify that in a year or two for the Spec V.

So far all the real world reviews I've heard have been very positive.

On a slightly off topic tangent, I am liking the new Z the closer it gets to production. Picked up the latest Road and Track where they test drove a finalized Z. Looks MUCH better than the prototypes, but I still hoped for more resemblance to the original Z. 280 hp, estimated times of 6.0 sec to 60mph and 14seconds in the 1/4. For $29,000, sounds like you'll get Corvette C4 performance. It just made it onto my list of possabilities...whenever I find another damn job, that is....

Looks like Nissan is beginning to pull itself out of the grave it dug in the late 90s.

·
Registered
765 Posts
How did you perform these 'track tests'? Sounds like you used a Gtech or somethin? j/w
Anyways the #'s seem in line with what I heard motor trend got (15.4)

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Well, knowing a final velocity and and elapsed time (i.e. a 1/4 mile time), you can get avg acceleration from which you can deduce a 0-60 time.

Physics is fun, no? ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah, and how did he get the braking distance :confused:

·
Registered
729 Posts
I never knew that a track gives you 0-60 foot times....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does any one have one of those Bullshit flags? If you do hoist it high on this one:rolleyes:

·
Registered
850 Posts
I'm calling 100% BS. How do you get a 0-60 time and 60-0 distance from a 1/4 run on a track that is closed :confused: ? Damn gtech time :mad:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, let's see here. All we have to do is use our brains.

The brake testing was a little crude. We marked a spot on the track to start breaking at. Set the cruise control to 60 and hit the brakes at the spot, then we (me and my friend who got on the track w/ no problem) used one of those rolling measuring wheels on a stick thingy that my friend (jerett) uses to test everybodys car when they want a cheap braking test. He has used this method w/ several cars and said it is good withing about 1-1/2ft of the real thing. The track is closed for events, it's funny though how me and a bunch of my buddies hang out there almost every weekend with a bunch of other tuners in the central ohio area? Imagine that.

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Re: I'm old. My brain is slow, but my common sense isn't

mattimer said:
The brake testing was a little crude. We marked a spot on the track to start breaking at. Set the cruise control to 60 and hit the brakes at the spot, then we (me and my friend who got on the track w/ no problem) used one of those rolling measuring wheels on a stick thingy that my friend (jerett) uses to test everybodys car when they want a cheap braking test. He has used this method w/ several cars and said it is good withing about 1-1/2ft of the real thing. The track is closed for events, it's funny though how me and a bunch of my buddies hang out there almost every weekend with a bunch of other tuners in the central ohio area? Imagine that.
How did you get the 1/4 mile times?

What are the details of the 1/4 mile times (60', 330', 1/8th mile, 1000')?

Did you have to shift to 4th before the finish?

How did you get the 0-60 times?

What color was the Spec V?

What color were the seats?

How many miles were on it when you did all this?

What other tuners have access to the track?

·
You like that, dontchya?
956 Posts
Well, if the track is closed, then I don't see how you're getting *accurate* times and mph. I assumed that you had actually used the track sensors. Then you can deduce approx. 0-60 times, but not braking distance.

Your method for braking distance is VERY crude and on paper looks like it could work, but you would have to press that brake pedal at that EXACT point that you marked to start braking. At 60mph you're moving at 88 ft/sec. [ 60 miles/h * 5280ft/mile * 1/3600 h/sec = 88 ft/sec] If you miss your braking point by a tenth of a second, you're off 8.8 ft. Ugh. To be within 1.5 ft of the "real thing", you'd have to be just 0.017sec off from hitting the brake pedal as you crossed your point. About the time it takes to blink your eyes...

Just filtering the BS...

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
Re: Re: I'm old. My brain is slow, but my common sense isn't

slowSER said:

How did you get the 1/4 mile times?

What are the details of the 1/4 mile times (60', 330', 1/8th mile, 1000')?

Did you have to shift to 4th before the finish?

How did you get the 0-60 times?

What color was the Spec V?

What color were the seats?

How many miles were on it when you did all this?

What other tuners have access to the track?

EDIT: If you averaged your timeslips, what was your fastest run? How many passes did you make?
ttt

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
WhiteSER said:
He said he left in his other post. He didnt like everyone being mean. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

The greatest slap in the face will be for him to come up with evidence to prove he isn't lying, not some whiny "I'm leaving" post. If he did a real drag strip run, prove it. It shouldn't be too hard.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.