SR20 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
91 Classic Red
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what tool the manual tranny filler plug uses? I know it's a little bigger than a 3/8" Breaker Bar but I think I would rather use the correct tool.

Bill Shafer Valley City, OH '91 Classic

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
Hmm, how I wish I had the correct tool.

I always use a 3/8" breaker bar, hoping the damn thing won't strip. I don't understand why Nissan designed it like this?

Good luck....

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Something that works pretty good. Go and get a piece of foil outta the kitchen and put a few wraps around the end of the breaker bar. Tap it in with a hammer and it's all tight. ;)

·
Looking for a new B13....
217 Posts
I've always just used the 3/8 when I remove or install it...if it was a hex I' might be worried but since it's a square..your chances of doing any damage are slim..

·
91 Classic Red
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HATEnFATE said:
I've always just used the 3/8 when I remove or install it...if it was a hex I' might be worried but since it's a square..your chances of doing any damage are slim..

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I will get a good 3/8" breaker bar since I broke my old one.

Bill

·
Garage Queen: 91 VG30DETT
251 Posts
i stripped mine with the 3/8" trying to take it off because i tightened it pretty hard when i had a clutch job. i hammered my 3/8" with strips of metal and ended up developing a tiny crack below the bolt. i now have to do the ghetto tranny fill using the speedo hole. be careful on this one.

·
little Thunder
1,969 Posts
Boxer19 said:
Does anyone know what tool the manual tranny filler plug uses? I know it's a little bigger than a 3/8" Breaker Bar but I think I would rather use the correct tool.

Bill Shafer Valley City, OH '91 Classic
May I suggest to spray some WD40 or PB Blaster on the bolt the night before you plan to work on your car.

Another suggestion is to make sure that you are able to loosen up the filler bolt first before you loosen up the drain bolt.

·
SERCA-SoCal
801 Posts
Here's another thing to use: Get an aluminum coke/pepsi can, grab a pair of scissors and cut a strip as deep as your 3/8 ratachet/breaker and wrap it squarely against your 3/8 ratchet/breaker to eliminate slack once you try to remove plug.

Tevs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts