SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had a chance to work on my car this weekend. For many of us east coast folks we had some warm weather to enjoy (it reached 60 degrees!):). I took the chance to work on my car as did others I'm sure. I just picked up a new Cannon S50 digicam so I took the liberty to take pics and post them up. I even did a mini write-up on the transmission fluid change for future reference. :) I also cleaned my valve cover with some simple green, changed the PCV valve, and installed my strut tower bar. Here's the link. 56k'ers beware.

http://www.freewebs.com/bruhaha

Feel free to comment. And I apologize for the pic sizes. I'll try to resize them later. :)

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
silversx said:
That camera owns! Good choice...and nice pics too.
I love this camera. The best part is I got it for a great deal! :) I'm guessing I should set the default to a smaller picture size.

On another note, can anyone comment on the color of my old tranny fluid? It seemed really dark. Granted, it has seen over 91K miles. But is it supposed to be as dark as Coke syrup? It's the last 2 photos in the Tranny fluid change folder.

·
Registered
381 Posts
good pics and details. is the the drain bolt supposed to stick out like that? i changed mine and noticed it stuck out a lil after out it back in. no threads were showing before i took it out, is that normal?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
A friend of mines said u don't need to change tranny fluid on manual cars EVER. can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sr20det808 said:
A friend of mines said u don't need to change tranny fluid on manual cars EVER. can anyone verify this?
My mechanic told me the same thing. But I have also heard to change out the tranny fluid every 30K miles. The premise of this is to remove any metal flakes that could be floating around your tranny. I've heard good things about MT-90 so I decided to give it a try.

·
Registered
381 Posts
BruHaHa said:
Mine stuck out like that before and after. I couldn't tighten it anymore if I wanted to. It is in securely with no leaks so far.
i also couldnt get to go in any more. hopefully it wont leak

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Glad to see that your tranny flush went better then mine.
I tried to drain my tranny two weekends ago and couldn't get my drain or filler bolts off to save my live. Granted, I had limited space to work with, but after a couple busted nuckles and one fatty blood blister, I decided that I'll take it to a local shop with a car lift.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2xSE-R said:
Glad to see that your tranny flush went better then mine.
I tried to drain my tranny two weekends ago and couldn't get my drain or filler bolts off to save my live. Granted, I had limited space to work with, but after a couple busted nuckles and one fatty blood blister, I decided that I'll take it to a local shop with a car lift.
I was working out of my 1-car garage...very limited space for me. No busted knuckles for me. I used some Gunk Liquid Wrench on the bolts. I sprayed it, let it sit for a little bit, and went at it. I used my 1/2" rachet with some aluminum can strips wrapped around the square to prevent stripping. I applied pressure on the rachet with one hand and tapped the end of the rachet with my rubber mallet for added pressure. A few taps and the drain bolt came right off. I did the same to the filler bolt. Only injury I received was when I tapped my pinky with the mallet instead of the rachet. :tongue:

My car does feel smoother now. It seems to pick up a little better than before. I still don't know if the color of the old tranny fluid seems right. At least it's out now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts