SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me which bolts in the tranny are the fill and drain plugs? Is there an FAQ on changing the tranny fluid, I can't seem to find it on ser.net.

And what's that thing that has a plate covering it and a philips screw holding the plate onto the bottom of the trans casing? Is that covering the drain plug?

SeRKid

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
The drain plug is easily visible under the tranny as it is big. To get it out you can use a 1/2" rachet (just the rachet end with NO sockets on it). The fill plug is up higher on the tranny towards the front of the car. You need to use a 1/4" rachet on it. Click here for detailed instructions.

-saaby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Saaby! I had a feeling those two square holed plugs were it, but was unsure what to do. Makes me feel like a fool, but at least I know what to do now. Take it easy. Later.

·
jo mom
502 Posts
i honestly feel you need an impact to get the bolts to turn if the fluid was not changed recently

i started tugging on mine and gave up in fear of rounding them off

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
i honestly feel you need an impact to get the bolts to turn if the fluid was not changed recently
I changed my fluid after only about 25,000 on the car. The drain bolt was very hard to open. I used an extension pipe around the ratchet and it popped free. You just have to jack the car up as high as you can.

-saaby

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I changed mine after 140,000 miles. Didnt have to use an impact, thank goodness!! The one lesson I learned was this:

If you unscrew the fill plug first then the drain plug, that fluid will come flyin out like Niagra falls!!!
It totally missed the collector pan I had and got all over my driveway!! :mad: :mad: :p Talk about a biohazard scare!!!
Im glad no neighbors were snoopin around!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts