SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
YOUR F0RUM SUX
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK bear with me here. I was wondering when I need to change the fluid? How many miles etc.... Now I'm kinda new to the trany and I want to know more about this as I go on. So when should I do it? How do I do it? And can I do it myself?

Thanx.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm not sure what the FSM says about when, but I think about 50,000 miles is a good time. if you have a 5-speed tranny then I know you can do it yourself. I'm not sure about automatic, but you probably can.

for 5-speed, you just have to pull a plug from the bottom and drain it, replace plug. then pull out the speed sensor(located on the backside of the motor, top of transmission) and pour in the new fluid, replace sensor. done.

·
YOUR F0RUM SUX
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have any pics of what to look for? Will pulling the top 1st help flow? how much fluid? What kinda/brand? Will I notice a difference?

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't have any pics.

might help flow.

4-5 quarts of any MTF will work as long as its GL-3 or better, but I recommend Redline Racing Oil MT-90. get it at www.myoilshop.com

you might notice a difference if your current fluid is really bad, but I didn't notice a whole lot. but the point is to protect your tranny from getting "noticeably bad" ie: noisy, rough, etc.

get a Full Service Manuel or go to autozone and get a haynes/chiltons guide on your car. one of those will have pics and instructions on everything you need to know

·
the clamps joey, clamps
644 Posts
I used Valvoline Durablend.. Works pretty good, i changed it when i had 60k, and then again at 100k, and i will every 50k after that.. Yeah pulling the top one first is not only safe, but it will go down smooth like [insert beer of choice]...

Safe because i know of people who pop their drain, can can't open the fill.. haha

·
Blast From The Past...
1,994 Posts
usually the tranny fluid is changed @ around 50,000 to 60,000. at the moment i am using a 1/2 and 1/2 combo of redline mt-90 and heavy shockproof works well for me...

·
YOUR F0RUM SUX
3,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When you guys get a chance if you can... Take a few pics of what I need to look for. I'm just a little worried about what I do to my car and don't need a mees up. I'm sure it easy.. But want to make sure.. Thanx.

·
Set Verbose On
498 Posts
SchmottySE-99 said:
4-5 quarts of any MTF will work as long as its GL-3 or better, but I recommend Redline Racing Oil MT-90. get it at www.myoilshop.com
After reading some / searching some about this, I thought we were NOT supposed to use GL-5 only gear oil due to problems with it eating at yellow metals... Is this only for the b13/14's, or for SE-s too? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't want to change the fluid and end up reducing synch ring life.

BYW, what I'm finding in local shops is almost exclusively GL5 only fluid.

·
Set Verbose On
498 Posts
iMagnusX said:
Redline MT-90 is GL-4.
yeah, I know. but shmooty said anything gl3 or better would be fine, and i didn't want sentrixx using gl5 only from wally's mart thinking it's cool and ending up with a fried tranny.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bearjing said:
yeah, I know. but shmooty said anything gl3 or better would be fine, and i didn't want sentrixx using gl5 only from wally's mart thinking it's cool and ending up with a fried tranny.

I was unaware that gl-5 was harmful to our tranny. so I apologize if I made a mistake. gl-3 is good, but gl-4 is better. I don't know about gl-5. :biggthump

1 - 12 of 12 Posts