SR20 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I never paid much attention to my tranny mount, even though I always hear a knocking when I start the car or when downshifting, etc. Even though the car is on my lift at work every two weeks or so doing things here or there. But today something went clunk. Followed by the sound of something falling off onto the street. And if I let the gas off in gear, it would clunk again. I knew the front mount was going south, so I got a new front mount thinking thats what it was. After I installed it I looked carefully at the rest of them and to no avail I noticed that the tranny mount was completely disconnected from the tranny. The bolts just broke off inside of it! I knew the knock sound was not from the engine, so this whole time 2 of those bolts were already broken off creating the knocking sound and at last the remaining bolt gave way. I am going to extract the broken bolts and replace them on Monday, but did any of you have a similar experience? Would those who did know exactly what type bolts to get at a hardware store to replace the broken ones? Dont have time to order them at the Nissan dealer. I am just going to drive real careful until then.

·
/// God Speed! ///
1,917 Posts
Which mount bolts broke off? I found my brothers drivers side tranny mount was
about to fall off of his car. All 3 of the bolts had backed out a little and I guess from the stress and weight, they where bent slightly.
Good luck with the extracting.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its311Pete said:
Which mount bolts broke off? I found my brothers drivers side tranny mount was
about to fall off of his car. All 3 of the bolts had backed out a little and I guess from the stress and weight, they where bent slightly.
Good luck with the extracting.
The ones that hold the mount bracket to the tranny broke off. Not a real big deal, just cant bang gears till fixed. Not that I do that anyway....

·
Big Daddy $
1,240 Posts
That happened back when I had my b14 SE-R. I was racing a buddy and the front motor mount broke and the 3 bolts that go into the tranny for the trannt mount all broke clean inside the tranny housing. I thought I was screwed. Just get a drill bit that's smaller than the size of the actual pieces in the tranny and drill them out. They'll come out fairly easy....hope that helps...

·
Still not my president
5,173 Posts
ive done that 5 times now i just got a new tranny sick of breaking the bolts, i hope that fixes it. if not im throwing the car away. its a bitch to fix.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I ended up having to drill into the frame when the bolt for the bracket to the frame sheared. I oculdn't replace the mount because the welded nut in the frame broke loose so I couldn't even turn it to get it loose. I have since had a new bolt welded in and I check it when I have the car up.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
If you need a pic of what I'm talking about, I have a few I can send you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts