SR20 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Back down to one SR20
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used transmission from a junkyard about three months ago, took it apart and checked it, then had the gears cryo and the case welded for my turbo B14. I changed the clutch (Clutchnet fiber-fiber and PP) last Sat. and installed this new tranny, but now I have some weird problems.

1) With the car in neutral, there is a loud whinning noise along with a clattereing noise that only goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed. This same noise comes back at 2700 3200 rpms but nowhere else.

2) When changing gears they almost seem to have to be forcefully pulled out of one and pushed into another.

We installed everything per FSM with new TO bearings, axle seals, Redline Shockproof and torqued all bolts to spec. We then redrilled the clutch bracket for some more adjustment. The only part we didnt change was the pilot bearing I *think* its called, its the little cyclinder that goes inside the flywheel.

Do I need to get rid of this tranny and put the original back or could there be something else wrong?

TIA

·
SR powered S13 coupe
6,728 Posts
I installed the Clutchnet fiber-kevlar and type1 PP last month and am having the same problems as you are in #2. No loud whinning noise though... I did not change anything else out, just clutch/pp. The stock setup was fine, just wanted to upgrade before I turboed the car.

I have not redrilled the clutch bracket yet, but did install a 1.6 clutch cable which is shorter. No matter how much I adjust the cable, I still hear the clutch dragging when the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. This is causing the shifts between gears to be very tough... so tough that I have to blip the throttle to downshift and sometimes on upshifts. Also, my clutch engagement is near the top of my pedal, not fun :(

To top it all off, the problem only occurs 3 out of 5 times when shifting. a few times the shifts are OK, others I have to rev match to downshift or the car is not coming out of gear.

I don't think you did anything wrong, it could possible be with the PP, but I am not certain of that. I am going to redrill my bracket tonight to move the clutch cable back a little farther, I hope that works, because I am not sure what else to do here.

Any other input on this would be great.

·
sellout
1,000 Posts
I did the same thing, buy a used tranny, jgy cryo treated. I also have the clutchnet, but the noise is the input shaft bearing. I just went through the same thing with my G20. I took the tranny all apart and the bearing is bad. I hate the noise, its getting very annoying.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
hazar_SER said:
1) With the car in neutral, there is a loud whinning noise along with a clattereing noise that only goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed. This same noise comes back at 2700 3200 rpms but nowhere else.

2) When changing gears they almost seem to have to be forcefully pulled out of one and pushed into another.
TIA
1) Have to agree with whitehawk on this one, sounds like a bearing problem. It goes away when you disengage that clutch and stop the input shaft from spinning. The clattering is from play in the bearing. That bearing is not too hard to change, you won't need to take anything else off the input shaft to press it off.

2) Where is your clutch pedal engaging? If its really low to the floor, sounds like you might need some more adjustment in the cable. The clutch probably isn't fully disengaging.

·
sellout
1,000 Posts
If the gears are tough to shift through, then I would think that the bearing has play. Mine had no play yet, just awful noise. Its not good if there is any play because all the gears and synchros are getting galled up and worn away. A few weeks ago, I put a tranny in a 98 civic for the same problem. The owner had let it go so long that the shaft had 1/4 inch of play and was difficult to drive. Everything in the transmission was ruined.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts