SR20 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my trans leaks gear fluid from both axle seals now. I found a six speed trans online but its from a 91-93 200 sx ser wondering if it will fit my 200sx ser 1996. i believe its the same motor

·
The smooth funky classic
1,220 Posts
First just buy some new seals and and replace the leakers. Second I've never heard of a '91-'93 200 SX six speed trans. no sir, no such mechanical contraption.

By the way when replacing the seals use a little lubricant and tap 'em in flush with the trans. casing.

L

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive already replace both seals and i miss read it wrong its a 5 speed...silly me. but it says it for a sr20de from 90-93 will that fit my 96 200sx ser

·
Drivin' my life away. . .
409 Posts
The only reasons new seals would leak are:
installed wrong
shafts are grooved so bad the new seals can't cover the gap

If it is the shafts, a different tranny will not help. The 90-93 had a mechanical speedo drive while the 200's were electric. You would need to make the conversion.

·
BarnieSe-R
355 Posts
the 91 -93 will fit but you are going to have to changed the axel i think cause i try changin my tranny last weekend and the one i bought was a 93 and fit but my axel dint want to go in so i bought a 97 and it fit

·
Veritas
6,205 Posts
what do you mean by speedo drive? I mean its says it for a nissan sentra, 200sx 90-93. here the link im trying to do most of my research be for i buy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-9...016QQitemZ260117526580QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Something has to drive the speedometer. In the 91-93 trannys, it is a cable. In the later trannys, it is an electrical sensor.

You would *have* to convert the '91-93 tranny over to an electrical speedometer drive. Otherwise, your speedo won't work at all in your car. Ever.

·
Premium Member
9,405 Posts
'91 - '92 were cable driven. The '93s were the first year for the electronic speedo.

·
NX moneypit. I love it!
128 Posts
before you change the seals, grab the axles right where they come out of the tranny and try to wiggle em up and down. if it moves a lot, putting in new seals won't help, cause the differential bearings are shot and you'de have to overhaul the trans or replace it. if it's pretty tight, i'd change the seals and inspect the axles where the seal rides on them for grooves/pits/corrosion and replace as necessary. just my professional opinion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts