SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into swapping a Bluebird SR20 into my '93 SE-R, my tranny is still running strong at 128k, If swap, and keep the crank hp down to 220, how long will my tranny hang in there?:confused:

·
El Chingon
892 Posts
No one knows for sure. Could last you 1 mile or another 128k! Do it and find out....

·
vincit omnia veritas
1,085 Posts
depends on how you shift.. how you drive.. and what clutch.
If you treat it right and it has no real faults.. then it could last forever... but if you beat on it, expect it to last accordingly!
trannys are cheap ;) drive it like ya stole it and put a new one in when ya break it:D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't usually rag on it daily, as much as I would have a few years ago, but when its time to race, I don't hold back to much. About the clutch, will a stronger clutch (ie. ACT) make the tranny life longer? It would help to know this because, when I get the motor installed, they will install the clutch free labor.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Drive it right and you won't have any problems. But it's hard to go turbo and drive it right. Something about feelin that BOOST!:cool:

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
About the clutch, will a stronger clutch (ie. ACT) make the tranny life longer?
Think about it...the reason the tranny goes is because of too much stress. When you step on the gas, usually something has to give. It could be the tire spinning, the clutch slipping, or the tranny breaking (gears, case twisting, etc.) (the main things that usually give). If you put on slicks..the tires are going to give less. If you use a stronger clutch, the clutch is going to give less also. So the next thing left to give is the tranny. So in short...too strong of a clutch is bad for the tranny.

-saaby

·
rollin 4 deep with JoeD
1,410 Posts
Saaby said:

So in short...too strong of a clutch is bad for the tranny.
So what are you saying, stick with a clutch that is going to slip?? The problem here isn't the harsh engagement of racing cluthces, the problem is pure raw horsepower transferring to a small third gear.

Almost all of the high horsepower cars that have broken 3rd gear(and one fifth) have broken then while under acceleration, under boost. And most of the time, they were pushing well over 250 wheel hp.

Frank
96 200sx SE-R
f-MAX Stage 2
ACT 6 puck Harsh ass clutch

·
Living up Boost
893 Posts
Almost all of the high horsepower cars that have broken 3rd gear(and one fifth) have broken then while under acceleration, under boost
I can't argue with that. I was mearly trying to explain that TOO strong of a clutch is NOT going to make the tranny live longer as the original poster speculated. It is more likely to hurt the tranny than help it.

-saaby

1 - 9 of 9 Posts