SR20 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been getting colder hear and my tranny grinds into 2nd now until car is completley warmed up... I am hoping that new oil will help. Will I be ok with regular senthetic gear oil (mobil 1) or do I need red line? Will this solve my problem? ALSO, how do I change it!!!! Where is the drain/fill plugs?

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Hotlanta in da house!!!
Hey whats up!!
Well, Mobil 1s website says that their gear oil should not be used in our engines.
heres a copy and paste paragraph--
----------------------------------------
Application

Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant is suitable for all automotive applications where lubricants meeting API Service GL-5, are recommended. It can also be used in rear axles where an API Service GL-4 lubricant is recommended. It should not be used in any transmissions requiring an engine oil or automatic transmission fluid, or GL-4 performance level.
------------------------------------------
Mobil 1 oil is GL-5, where the SE-R requires GL-4. I searched the town up and down and could not find GL-4 Mobil 1 synthetic oil. So what did I do? I said "f*ck it" and went with GL-5 anyways. Supposedly it eats up your gear synchros cause it has a preservative or something. I havent had no problems so far. YIKES! I would recommend the royal purple stuff but if you're a rebel like me just go all out Mobil 1.

------------------

SmoothDaddyFig

[This message has been edited by SmoothDaddyFig (edited 09-29-2001).]

P

·
0 Posts
GL5 doesnt supposedly eat your synchros it does, it is for differentials and gear boxes where there is no parts that are affected buy the harsher additives in the GL5, our boxes are ment to have GL4. there is no such thing as GL5 superceding GL4 when your talking applications. GL4 is the recomended API rated fluid for our boxes GL5 or 6 isnt. GL5 is the oil for hypoid differentials and some transmission applications, not ours. Castrol VMX 75/80 is all you need synthetics arnt nessacery on a non race application. drain/fill plugs are easy to see once you are under the car, you will see them so its not worth typing where

good luck man
chris

------------------
primeras its where its at.

·
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
863 Posts
I use royal Purple max gear lube. It works great. On cold mornings its a bit stiff going into second but not for long.

The best way to describe where the fill spot is, is. It is on the side of the trans near the front of the car. Almost right below the destributor cap. You need a hose and funnel to fill it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Red Line MTL is GL-4 rated.
From their site:
MTL® Manual Transmission Lubricant
a 70W80 GL-4 gear oil (SAE 5W30/10W30 engine oil viscosity) designed for use in manual transmissions and transaxles. Provides excellent protection of gears and synchronizers and its balanced slipperiness provides a perfect coefficient of friction, allowing easier shifting.

Great stuff too. There is also a 90 weight MTL. I've run it since my first chnage. Shifts like a dream (Hot, Cold or Whenever). Just pay the $ more a quart and do it right.

Oh yea, You can get it in gallons so you don't have to screw around with 4 little bottles. Get yourself a funnel with a LONG hose end. It is the only way to get it to the fill plug.

------------------
Erik, 94 Classic with goodies and a matching child car seat!
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid."

[This message has been edited by Horus (edited 10-01-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts