SR20 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a quick question----my 92 classic has recently been leaking fluid onto the ground, on the drivers side of the car. i knew it wasn't oil, it was clear yellow and didn't smell like motor oil. my mechanic took a look at it, and said it was the transmission. he said not to worry about it, just to keep it filled because its too expensive to fix--the transmission has to come completely apart to get the gasket redone. i was just curious...is this a common problem? have any of you ever experienced this? is it necessary to get it fixed? my car is more or less stock right now, but i am planning on getting an fmax kit this spring or summer, so i guess i'll need to get it done eventually...thanks guys

·
Registered
145 Posts
Leaky transmissions, whether manual or automatic are common and can be caused by a variety of things.

First of all, is your car manual or automatic? I am assuming it is an automatic since you are referring to a transmission rather than gearbox or tranny.

The easiest thing to do is to get under the car yourself and take a look. Trace where the problem is coming from. After that, I would suggest getting on www.se-r.net and searching the mailing list archives for common problems.

It is hard to answer your questions with the little information that you provide.

And whatever you do, I would recommend getting it fixed because if you let little annoying problems pile up you end up with one big headache...and if you have enough cash laying around to buy an fmax kit you certainly have enough to fix that leaky transmission of yours

Good luck!

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 Charcoal NX2k
advanced timing
"ghetto" airbox
16 inch rims
Yoko A520s
wish there was more

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
is it coming out of a sensor, axle, or out of where the main seal would be? 2 out of 3 are not hard to do yourself.

------------------
98 se-r w/ p/r cai,jwt s3 cams, stillen header, courtesy exhaust, ur pullies, JUN flywheel, ACT clutch, NOS nitrous kit, eibach springs, kyb struts, st sways, cusco camber plates, f/r strut braces,stillen lower control arm brace, lotsa bushings, and a bunch of other crap

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah sorry guys, i forgot to mention that its a manual tranny
. and its definitely leaking tranny fluid. i haven't had a chance to get the car up on jackstands to look at it myself, but next week i'll be home on spring break and i'm gonna take a look. the way the mechanic explained it, he said that the tranny comes apart in two pieces, and its leaking at the gasket or seal where the two halves join. to redo the gasket would mean taking the tranny apart, which is why its so expensive. does this sound right? has anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
145 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sr20de92:
does this sound right? has anyone had this problem?</font>
That could be the problem.

I would still recommend checking it yourself. If it is one of the switches or even the striking rod seal they can be fixed on car in no time, and the parts are cheap. The switches (reverse and neutral) are on opposite sides of the tranny I believe. The striking rod seal is on the back of the tranny where the large piston enters the tranny. I just replaced my striking rod seal ($5) and my leak stopped. It just took a quick look under the car (no jack stands or even a jack) to identify the problem.

BTW, the gearbox uses a heavy weight oil (80-90) for lubrication.

------------------
-----------Josh
'93 Charcoal NX2000
not quite stock

·
Registered
61 Posts
Clear yellow fluid? Doesn't smell like oil? Maybe your car took a piss? Sorry - couldn't help myself.

I didn't realize gear oil was yellow?

G

·
dang I have the same problem but it seem heavy towards the axle so it it seems to me well I couldn't tell maybe I should wipe it and see the next day anyhow it is yellow man almost light yellow ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts