SR20 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an auto 93 classic with adv timing, obx header, aem cold air. My car really moves but from a stop its horrible, and when i go from gear to gear theres a huge lag (not high enough rpms).

i was thinkin about gettin an edge racing torque converter for the transmission. however, i have heard that buying a converter with a 3k stall speed will decrease the durability of the tranny

im not too educated on the subject and ive been searchin for hours. Id be really grateful if anyone has any insight whatsoever on the issue. thanks a lot!

·
SE-R when I GROW UP GT-R
35 Posts
jkjk said:
i have an auto 93 classic with adv timing, obx header, aem cold air. My car really moves but from a stop its horrible, and when i go from gear to gear theres a huge lag (not high enough rpms).

i was thinkin about gettin an edge racing torque converter for the transmission. however, i have heard that buying a converter with a 3k stall speed will decrease the durability of the tranny

im not too educated on the subject and ive been searchin for hours. Id be really grateful if anyone has any insight whatsoever on the issue. thanks a lot!

http://www.levelten.com/

Try this they are awsome to talk to and have all that is needed to beef up your trans.

·
Registered
296 Posts
jkjk said:

I would recommend purchasing the Edge racing torque converter. Speak with Andre. He'll match a torque converter for your application. In regards to the durability of the transmission, purchase a good quality transmission cooler. This will keep the temperatures down. The number one cause of transmission damage is heat. Torque converters also create heat depending on how they are designed.

What you may be experiencing with the lag between gears is slippage or a worn valvebody. With a good torque converter, the efficiency is increased and the amount of slippage is decreased. Now when you increase the stall of the converter the heat may increase depending on how high the stall is raised. Now for the lag time between gears, I would recommend purchasing an upgraded valvebody. The valvebody upgrade allows for higher transmission fluid pressure to allow the transmission to shift faster and crisper. It will also work well with the converter. Oh, the valvebody can be revalved for higher rpms to allow the transmission to stay in gear longer. On some newer cars, the length of time the transmission stays in gear is controlled by the computer. The B13's transmission is not reliant on the computer.

In the case you want a full racing transmission, I would recommend level 10 to build you one. We do have a group price for $2864 if the prices are still valid. I believe the guy's name is Sam or speak with Pat and tell them Dan Oliver (1994 Sentra 1.6L) sent you. They will also cut about $50-100 off the price for a valvebody upgrade / torque converter. If you want just the converter, I would recommend Andre @ Edge Racing Converters. Andre is very quick with orders and I've talked with him several times. He even does business overseas with Nissan owners.

I would also recommend that you get your car dyno'd atleast once with all the mods you have and then send Andre the dyno so he can help you get the optimum stall. For instance, the optimum stall for the 1.6L sentra with all the bolt-ons and cams is 3,200rpm-3,300rpm. Some other details that may help with the design of the converter include: the weight of the car, gear ratios, overall tire diameter, and list of future modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts