SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just advanced my timing to 17 yesterday (i always run 91 octane)...anyways I took a couple "test 1/4 mile" runs yesterday ;) if ya know what I mean, and every time I reached redline in 1st or 2nd gear the RPMS would drop abruptly and the car would shoot forward...like slamming into an imaginary brick wall... I was thinking this could be the rev limiter on the stock ECU, or do you think it could be the car pinging? Thanks :)

BTW: My brake pedal sags when the car is running, but when the engine is off it's firm as a rock. Vacuum leak?

·
Registered
746 Posts
yep rev limiter.
what rpm do you shift at?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
REDLINEse-r said:
yep rev limiter.
what rpm do you shift at?
I normally shift at 7000, but I guess I should let off WOT earlier in order to avoid the rev limiter... Planning on getting a G20 ECU eventually. Think my times will improve if I can shift at 7,500 RPMS?

Thanks guys.

Will bleed the brakes... wonder why the pedal is hard with the engine shut off though.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nizzan4u2nv said:
The master cylinder doesnt work when the car is off.
...ah ic

·
sellout
1,000 Posts
The brake booster is operated by engine vacuum. When the car is not running the remaining vacuum is used when you pump the pedal a few times. All cars do this.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
whitehawk said:
The brake booster is operated by engine vacuum. When the car is not running the remaining vacuum is used when you pump the pedal a few times. All cars do this.
yea i know...i figured that if it was air in the brake lines i could feel it with the engine shut off. apparently i got it backwards. :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
ResidentWarui said:
I normally shift at 7000, but I guess I should let off WOT earlier in order to avoid the rev limiter... Planning on getting a G20 ECU eventually. Think my times will improve if I can shift at 7,500 RPMS?

Thanks guys.

Will bleed the brakes... wonder why the pedal is hard with the engine shut off though.
It's fuel cut and you are experiencing a lazy tach most likely. The motor is outrunning the gauge.

Don't bother shifting a stock cammed B14 at 7500rpm with hopes you'll gain acceleration. Not going to happen. In fact when I went [email protected] on the totaly stock 97 aside from the airbox removed I actually short shifted.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JayHass said:
It's fuel cut and you are experiencing a lazy tach most likely. The motor is outrunning the gauge.

Don't bother shifting a stock cammed B14 at 7500rpm with hopes you'll gain acceleration. Not going to happen. In fact when I went [email protected] on the totaly stock 97 aside from the airbox removed I actually short shifted.
i see, thanks for the info... i have a 91 B13 intake cam, but i know that is still stock...will get some JWT's eventually

1 - 11 of 11 Posts