SR20 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since a run in with a curb a few months ago, I've been experiencing something weird with my steering. Whenever I turn the wheel rapidly at least ~270 (like when parellel parking or something), it suddely gets real stiff, almost like there was a knot in a rope which it gets caught on. I figure I screwed something up when I hit the curb, any ideas what to look at?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A relative did the same to my Acura Legend. We think it has a little damage on the steering gears. We just keep driving it. Was your steering wheel knocked out of alignment quite a bit? Damage the wheel? Off chance it could be a bent lower transverse link arm (lower contral arm). Good luck. may need a shop to check that one.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hit it hard enough to put a hole in the tire. Steering gears? I hope that isn't as expensive as it sounds. I'm pretty sure the alignment is off as well.

·
Registered
705 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Doug H:
I hit it hard enough to put a hole in the tire. Steering gears? I hope that isn't as expensive as it sounds. I'm pretty sure the alignment is off as well. </font>
Hmm...ive never come across this, but how fast were you goign when this happened. Its proably that something is bent....either a lower control arm, or mayeb possibly even your steering rack, which could make things a royal PITA.

------------------
Ryan Walsh, 1997 200sx SE-R w/ ES mounts, JWT s4's, AEBS 4-1, PR CAI, Sportlines/AGX's, Bridgestone re730's, Matrix FSTB, Stillen GTR grill

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, from what I can tell, the lower control arms look fine. So it sounds like a screwed up the steering rack.

So, two questions:
1. How much will a new steering rack cost?
2. Is there a chance in hell that I will be able to install it myself?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ouch!!! Now that sounds like a hard hit. You bent something. There is no way you could not have. Time to crawl under her and really look hard or just find some shop you know well and get it up so you and a tech can look. Sorry it happened. =\

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should sue the gas station for this. It was late at night and the area was completely dark around the entrance. I turned where anyone would to get a good angle on the pump, but the stupid curb is extended an extra foot out. Grrr. That was the second time I've done that too, only I was going quite a bit faster the second time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ewwwwwwww. I did some thing like that too, but my girlie was asking me 101 stupid questions while I was pulling into a gas station with an odd curb. I don't think I hit it as hard as you did though. I have only minor alignment problems now. I'll check on a steering wrack from the dealer. You have any mechanic friends? The steering rack install is a bit of a pane. Not the worst out there though. Do you own a "Nissan" shop manual yet?

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
Steering rack is about the biggest pain in the ass as you can get to reomve and reinstall. From what I have heard, you really need to drop the whole ****ing motor to get to it easily. Someone did it on the main list without it and it took him forever and is nearly impossible. Those of you with an FSM, do the rack removal instructions start with "remove engine and transmission from vehicle" ?

------------------
Ben98SentraSE
98 Sentra SE TURBO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts