SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In theory, considering Solo2 autocross only, do you guys think there's much to gain with a Truechoice Stage 4 over a GC/AGX combo? Or do you think Truechoice would be unnecessary overkill for autox?

------------------
92 NX2000
Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Cams/Flywheel/Street Tires
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Son Of Skyline asked:
...think there's much to gain with a Truechoice Stage 4 over a GC/AGX combo?</font>
I'm of the opinion that one cannot have a car that handles too well. If price is no object, I'd go for the Truechoice.

Does the Truechoice Stage 4 give you more than twice the handling for twice (or more) the cost? I don't think so... It's like any mod really, in that at some point diminishing returns takes over.

------------------
'91 Classic w/the usual stuff

"It is better to go into a corner slow and come out fast than to go
into a corner fast and come out dead" - Stirling Moss

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
It's not really that black and white. Is Truechoice worth the money? Yes. Is it proportionately that much faster? Hell No.

Most people won't be able to drive any faster on a Truechoice than a GC setup. A good racer will be able to wring a little bit of time out of the car, which will go a looong way if you're at the National level.

If you've got the money, get the Truechoice. It is of much higher quality and will definitely ride and handle nicer. If you're on a budget, get GCs and look for time in the driver, the tires, the driver, the brakes, the driver, the motor, the driver.. get my point.

------------------
Paul
'92 NX2000 w/ mods

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
The huge thing Truechoice gives you over KYB's is shortened struts. With the KYB's, you are really limited on how low you set your ride height -- ask MadMatt!

I haven't run Truechoice shocks yet (will have them on the raSEcaR), but I've run another "custom" setup by another company (not going to mention the name 'cause bad publicity is still good publicity
). If the Truechoice shocks are anything like these Brand X shocks, they will give you better control in bumpy lots. With the Brand X shocks, I wouldn't even notice huge bumps when autocrossing. On the track, I could run two wheels over berms, and the car wouldn't get unsettled at all. I ran the Brand X shocks full stiff, too! (Single adjustment -- think the adjustment was more rebound dependent.)

Because one of the Brand X shocks broke, I had to run KYB AGX's for the last few events of this year. I noticed every bump. There were a few biggies, too, where the car literally jumped to one side. On track, I couldn't ride the berms at all because the car would jump halfway across the track.

I'll know in about 10 days how Truechoice compares to the Brand X shocks and KYB's.
I'm just getting the Stage 2, though (single adjustment). Is Stage 4 triple-adjustables with remote reservoirs?

------------------
'93 SE-R, for sale soon
'91 SE-R, future racecar
'00 Lightning, future SE-R puller

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slowSER:

I'll know in about 10 days how Truechoice compares to the Brand X shocks and KYB's.
I'm just getting the Stage 2, though (single adjustment). Is Stage 4 triple-adjustables with remote reservoirs?

</font>
Has Truechoice confirmed a Stage 4 application for the classic/NX2000?

------------------
92 NX2000
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Is Stage 4 triple-adjustables with remote reservoirs?
</font>
Double-adjustable... aka the Mike Kojima/Naji Dahi *bling bling* set-up.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RollcageSR20:
Double-adjustable... aka the Mike Kojima/Naji Dahi *bling bling* set-up.

--Andrew Phan
1993 NX2000
1998 200SX SE-R
</font>
I guess it could be triple adjustable if you consider ride height/compression/rebound.

------------------
92 NX2000
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
VE powered
556 Posts
I haven't run Truechoice shocks yet (will have them on the raSEcaR), but I've run another "custom" setup by another company (not going to mention the name 'cause bad publicity is still good publicity
</font>
I made a recent enquiry about this other company's product... had one set left which probably had your name on it. What didn't you like about it? If you don't feel like responding in this forum please e-mail me at [email protected] I have a GC\GAB setup right now that I'm looking to improve upon.

Also, anyone have a price for the Truechoice Stage IV package.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by autoxer7:
I made a recent enquiry about this other company's product... had one set left which probably had your name on it. What didn't you like about it? If you don't feel like responding in this forum please e-mail me at [email protected] I have a GC\GAB setup right now that I'm looking to improve upon.
</font>
I'll e-mail you the gory details. But it basically came down to poor customer service and uncertainty about the company's future. If one of the shocks failed (I've had two fail on the previous set I got for the '93), I wasn't sure that the company would still be around to honor its lifetime warranty.

------------------
'93 SE-R, for sale soon
'91 SE-R, future racecar

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">With the KYB's,
you are really limited on how low you set your ride height -- ask MadMatt!
</font>
Lowering 1 inch + Cusco camber plates (that eat up another 1/2" at least) = bouncy, bouncy, bouncy.....

Matt, who liked AGXs when stock, but is not a huge fan of them now

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">MaddMatt observed:
bouncy, bouncy, bouncy.....</font>
I've got that setup now on my Classic (GC/AGX/GC plates) and with the struts set at 3 for the 350lb ERS springs, the car doesn't feel bouncy at all.

Of course, I came to this suspension from 80k-mile Tokico/Eibach suspension so I suspect a Land Rover would feel sporty to me. <g>

------------------

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grailer:
Of course, I came to this suspension from 80k-mile Tokico/Eibach suspension
</font>
Man, that's "old school"! I remember when I thought that combo kicked ass!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son Of Skyline:

</font>
Anybody?

------------------
92 NX2000
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">slowSER exclaimed:
I remember when I thought that combo kicked ass!</font>
<g> Me too - and it did, for about 6k miles. =;-)

The GC/AGX combo is truly a marked step up. I'm sure the Truchoice/Motivational/Shocktek/etc. combos are also steps up, but I think that past a certain point you're splitting hairs. <shrug> But what do I know? I haven't driven one of these setups. I do know that a friend on the Trackmasters Instructor track runs 3+ seconds *slower* at The Glen in his ShockTek/S3-cam/giant brake equipped classic than me in my GC/AGX/stock cam equipped classic.

------------------

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I've got that setup now on my Classic (GC/AGX/GC plates) </font>
The Cusco plates mount under the shock tower like normal plates. They eat up about another 1/2" of travel. The GC plates (like you have and I should have gotten in the first place) mount on top of the tower giving you about 3/4"-1" more suspension travel.

If you like the Glen, you really should take some time off from work/school/whatever and come down to VIR. You will not be disappointed I promise.

Matt, who wishes he had GC plates instead of Cusco...

[This message has been edited by MaddMatt (edited 10-18-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MaddMatt:
Matt, who wishes he had GC plates instead of Cusco...
</font>
When I sell my '93 SE-R, I'll let you buy it. It has GC camber plates.

------------------
'93 SE-R, for sale soon
'91 SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">MaddMatt suggested:
...come down to VIR.</font>
I keep hearing that and keep thinking about it. It's the 17-hour drive from Maine that's stopping me. =:)

Next year, I'll do four events again, but try to mix up the tracks a bit. The Glen's a definite, as is Tremblant in Quebec (provided the new owner doesn't flake-out). I'd like to do Mosport as well (same designer as Tremblant). I'd be nice to hit Mid-Ohio or Lime Rock again too.

VIR's pretty sweet, but like I said it's a 2-day drive there and back again. <shrug> Maybe, if the scheduling of events permits, a week-long southern tour to get in Road Atlanta, VIR, and Sebring? <g>

Sheeya, right. Not without an RV/tow vehicle, Nissan parts truck, and 198k on my Classic.

------------------

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Son Of Skyline:

</font>
Well, to answer my own question, I just got a reply from Truechoice...Yes, the Stage 4 Truechoice is made for the classic/NX2000, but they need your stock struts...and $3305.00!!! Minus 10% as a forum member...Wow. Hope that helps...good luck SOS...

------------------
92 NX2000
14.545 @ 95.57 mph

·
employment whiplash, NC
3,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">When I sell my '93 SE-R, I'll let you buy it. It has GC camber plates. </font>
Consider the plates sold if you want. I already have too many cars though

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">VIR's pretty sweet, but like I said it's a 2-day drive there and back again.</font>
That's a pretty damn far drive, but I swear it's worth it. I wouldn't hesitate to do it, but I know how good the track is already.

SpeedtrialUSA has a December date for only $275 for the WHOLE DAMN WEEKEND on the full course. I don't know how they make any money on it. Average price for most groups on the full course is ~$500.

------------------
Matt
92 SE-R from Heck

"What have you DONE to that thing..." - stranger at Rockingham dragway 5/18/01
"Where's the turbo?" - stranger at the 1st autocross of 2000 where my SE-R debuted
"That thing is a goddamn rocket ship. I'm not lifting for you on the straights anymore!" -Karl Shultz, Rockingham 4/27/01
"What in the hell have you done since I drove it last?" -David Stone, Rockingham 4/27/01

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">MaddMatt gushed:
That's a pretty damn far drive, but I swear it's worth it.
High praise indeed! OK, I'll seriously consider it for next season. =;-)

------------------

1 - 20 of 31 Posts