SR20 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How was TC's customer service? I've heard some people say that their turn around time is very slow and that a lot of the people there don't put much effort into keeping you informed.</font>
Whenever you build a custom suspension you need PATIENCE. That is the key. I believe that I ran into more delays than I should have for several reasons:

1. The guy that made Mike K's suspension is not the same guy that made mine. So the new suspension builder had to start almost from scratch. That took some time. Now he is fully aware of how to build this suspension. So if you want to build yours, it should be less of a hassle.

2. Koni ran out of parts and several of them were on back order. That caused delays as well. The parts had to be shipped from the Netherlands. Yikes.

3. I ordered my suspension during the race season. Big mistakes. That is when they are extremely busy. Order yours during the off season. During the winter months.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">How long did the total time take for the suspension to be built and delivered (including the time it took to send in your front struts)?</font>
It took a long time as I outlined above. But Mike K. told me that this is the way it goes when you build a custom suspension. He told mr that once the "issues" were resolved the car will handle better than his Z. And he was right.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Looking at the my TC catalog here, it lists the kit price for the 200SX SE-R as $2805.00. However, at the bottom is says:</font>
Forget the catalogue. You have to call them for the price. Get them to commit for a certain price and go from there. The Catalogue varies from reality.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">After reading your review, it sounds as if you would rather have chose the GC camber plates over the Stillen(Cusco) plates. Is that true?</font>
Yes and no. The GC gives you more travle, but with the shortened suspension you really do not need it. It used to be that the GC plates did not allow you to run an STB. But I heard that has changed. I am not sure though. Lately Rob had a problem with his GC's. I do not know how serius that is. But he did mention that. They are both good.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Why did you choose the GC suspension hat over the one supplied by Truechoice? Do you find the thorington bearing to make a large difference in feel and overall performance? Did you ever try it compaired with the one supplied by Truechoice?</font>
Mike K. told me to get it. At that time TC did not have such a set. Mike believes strongly in the thorington bearing. It does give you a great feel for the car. It is a must. I did not even mention the bearing to TC since my decision to run camber plates was a last minute decision.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">One last note, the rear adjuster pic needs some attention. Once you click to enlarge the pic, it links to the rear strut (large) pic.</font>
I will fix that asap. thanks.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Anyways, thanks again for the great review of the system. If you had to do it all over again, would you go this route again? How would you compair it with the Shocktec suspension packages?</font>
Yes I will. The TC guys have good customer service, especially if you talk to gerg about your issues with the suspension. When I sent my rear struts for a longer shaft, Greg replaced them for free and said "I just want to make you happy." I like that.

But the key is to have miles and miles of PATIENCE and communicate CLEARLY with Greg. These things take time. Remember it is custom made.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist
Fast 1998 SE-R Last of the SE-Rs
Slow 1996 G20 (AGXs/G20t springs, K&N drop in filter)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. It's really helping reassure me that going the TC way is the right way for what I want to do with my 96.

One last question for you, I know you and Mike K. both went with the stage IV. A lot of the Honda people that have the TC setup stop at stage III. Is there a reason/benifit to going with the stage IV on the SE-R? I guess what I'm saying is that I don't have a clear understanding of what the differences are between a stage III and a stage IV. If you could enlighten me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

·
Registered
846 Posts
Well you pretty much answered my question in the 200SX forum, so I'll throw out a new question that came to mind. Did you have to haggle at all to get that price ($2800)? How much dealing was involved?

Thanks!

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished my write-up on the Truechoice pahse IV suspension. It is very detailed and describes the pitfalls to avoid when getting one. It makes it easy for you guys to get one
Click on the link in my signature and click on "truechoice suspension" in the table of contents column. Please tell me what you think? How can I improve the article?

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
Registered
846 Posts
Great review Naji... thanks for posting it!
I've got some questions I hope you could help me with...

How was TC's customer service? I've heard some people say that their turn around time is very slow and that a lot of the people there don't put much effort into keeping you informed.

How long did the total time take for the suspension to be built and delivered (including the time it took to send in your front struts)?

Looking at the my TC catalog here, it lists the kit price for the 200SX SE-R as $2805.00. However, at the bottom is says:

"PLEASE NOTE: Phase Four price does not include tender springs. Add $70 per linear, $94 per progressive and $24 per spacer, for each corner of car. Price also does not include helper spring. Add $40 per corner, if applicable."

What does all this mean? I thought the Stage IV was a complete kit (And for $2800 it should be)... what exactly do you get for the $2805, and then what do you need to add to that price?

After reading your review, it sounds as if you would rather have chose the GC camber plates over the Stillen(Cusco) plates. Is that true?

Why did you choose the GC suspension hat over the one supplied by Truechoice? Do you find the thorington bearing to make a large difference in feel and overall performance? Did you ever try it compaired with the one supplied by Truechoice?

One last note, the rear adjuster pic needs some attention. Once you click to enlarge the pic, it links to the rear strut (large) pic.

Anyways, thanks again for the great review of the system. If you had to do it all over again, would you go this route again? How would you compair it with the Shocktec suspension packages?

Thanks so much!

- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yosho:
Well you pretty much answered my question in the 200SX forum, so I'll throw out a new question that came to mind. Did you have to haggle at all to get that price ($2800)? How much dealing was involved?
</font>
They just quoted me a price and I made them stick to it. There was no haggling involved. But be prepared for the delays should that happen as I told you in my earlier post. I do not know if you still have the stock suspension or not. But you will need the front stock struts shipped to TC. So you will be w/o your car for a while. You have an SI, so you can use that one.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
Premium Member
1,619 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nj1266:

It used to be that the GC plates did not allow you to run an STB. But I heard that has changed. I am not sure though.

</font>
I talked to GC about it a couple months ago, and they did not have an STB yet that went with their camber plates. However, Ground Control's customer service generally sucks ass, so it could be that they actually do but the guy I talked to didn't know any better.

George Perinis was able to fit an STB under his Ground Control camber plates on his 200SX SE-R. I can't remember which brand STB he had. So some may fit, some may not -- depends on how it's designed.

------------------
'93 Sentra SE-R, daily driver and track/autox toy
'91 Sentra SE-R, future racecar

·
Registered
846 Posts
They just quoted me a price and I made them stick to it. There was no haggling involved. But be prepared for the delays should that happen as I told you in my earlier post. I do not know if you still have the stock suspension or not. But you will need the front stock struts shipped to TC. So you will be w/o your car for a while. You have an SI, so you can use that one.

</font>
Thanks, yeah... I don't mind about the delays. Heck, one of the reasons I bought the Si is that I wanted to be able to take some of the daily driving duties off of the SE-R.

My SE-R is basically stock. I've got a few things, but I've purposely not put much money into upgrading it yet.

My plan is to focus on the suspension first, brakes second, and engine last.

Do you have the Motivational rear suspension mounts yet?

------------------
- Yosho
'96 200SX SE-R
'00 Civic Si EBP

·
Track Whore
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dan_93SER:
Naji,
What was the purpose of those black urethane(?) bushings you have in the rear, between the spring hat and the mounting plate? Is it just eliminate some of the noise?</font>
The rubber bushings are a MUST. If you do not put them, then you will have the metal hat touching the metal motivational mounting plate. That means that the strut shaft has no felxibility to move. This will cause the shaft to break. Not a good idea.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also, did TC provide those white plastic(?) discs that go between the springs and spring seats?</font>
Yes they do come with the suspension. You get two of them, one between the spring and the bottom perch and one between the spring and the top hat.

------------------
Naji Dahi, aka Red Mist

·
Registered
862 Posts
The rubber bushings are a MUST. If you do not put them, then you will have the metal hat touching the metal motivational mounting plate. That means that the strut shaft has no felxibility to move. This will cause the shaft to break. Not a good idea.

</font>

Hmmm. Well, I have a Classic with the Motivational setup, so I'm not so sure that'd be the case with mine. On mine, the strut shaft bolts directly to the stock mounting plate, with no rubber bushings. I was going to put some bushings in anyways just so I wouldn't have to listen to the spring hat knocking around on the mounting plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts