SR20 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in desperate need of some tips on tuning up my car. I have incredibly bad gas mileage, and what feels like half the horsepower. If i stomp on the gas i goes nowhere, literally i stays the same speed for a few momensts then slowly but surely it the rpm's start going up.

Bob "Getting whooped by Honduh's" Wilson

·
Registered
496 Posts
Check your timing, when i first got my car mine was at 9 degrees. I got killed by my wife's honda civic HX..!! Bump that sucker to 17 or 18 degrees. Run premium gas. Change the plugs, use Nissan dealer NGK plats/they come pregapped and change the rotor and cap. Might want to check the plug wires too if your car has alot of miles.

Clean the throttle body too. All these procedures you can find on the SE-R.net.

Get back to us and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
along with the fuel filter and maybe the o2 sensor if you got the money left over.

G

·
How do u know if your O2 sensor is going or fouling? I too mush on the gas but throttle response ins't as good as I would like. trottle response off the line is bad. I cleaned my throttle body (I didn't take off the throttle body, just cleaned off the plate and what I could inside with a rag. I didnt' check my timing but I was told that it was off. I replaced the plugs wires and cap/rotor so its none of them.

Brent

G

·
one other thing you could do to help throttle response is to tighten up your throttle cable. I belive there is a procdure for this on SE-R.net, but if you cant find it let me know and I will give you some more info.

MarC

·
Registered
496 Posts
200 SER,

What does that mean "your timing was off", i'd say check it yourself and bump it yourself. I asked the dealer to do it one time before i took it upon myself to do it and they totally wacked it out, it was at 5 degrees or something ridiculous and i could barely even peel out from a big rev launch. It really affects your car, grab the procedures off the NET and you'll eliminate the bog on throttle tip in if you bump to 17 or 18.

Basically unplug your tps, hit it with a timing light, adjust as needed, rev past 3K three times, shut off car, re-plug tps start and enjoy the POWER....

gpser96

G

·
I took out the slack in the trottle cable, I did that shortly after I bought it. I was told that the timing was off cuase when I went autocrossing the one guy from the SE-R club looked at my distributor cap and said that its off. I'm not srue if its tilted forward or back. This may sound dumb but what do u mean by unplug my tps?? Thanks agian for the tips

·
Registered
1,928 Posts

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
TPS= Throttle position sensor. It's the brown plug right next to your throttle body/plate. If you require pics I have a digital camera and can generate pics on a moment's notice

G

·
There is nothing wrong with your engine you foul scrab smacker. You are supposed to lose to Hondas. Even the slowest Hondas are 10 second cars bone stock.
You need to quit your bitching, go to the Honda dealer, get a REAL car and shove your attitude up your ass until it comes out of you nose pansie.

------------------------
1999 EBp Civic Si
FMIS intake
dual 12" tips
Koenig VillanZ
36" HiFi projection tach
Street Fyghter body kit
Axel back exhaust
Summit sticker pack
Type R valve cover: for less cam windage
Faux plastic designer replica intercooler
Football whistle on intake to simulate turbo
F/R: Steel wheels with OEM H rated tires/30" Chrome MOMO wheels with Kelly Chargers

[Edited by SERapist (11-23-2000 at 06:59 AM).]

G

·
thanks Ben I know what ur talking about now
Maybe if its warms up enough over the weekend I might give it a shot. I still have to pain on the timing marks on the UR crank pully.

Hey SERapist, how much extra hp did u get for putting on that cool whistle?

·
_______
3,640 Posts
Wow you went from an EX to an Si in a matter of hours. And in the middle of the night no less.

Ya he probably stole it!

·
pwnd
3,455 Posts
That issue with the car being slow off the line is most definatly the timing i will almost garentee
My car was horrible off the line, so NoVTEC and I checked it, it was at like 10dbtdc so put it back up to 15 cause i like 89octane gas and damn it made world of difference. what it is, the nissan ecu retards the timing slightly at WOT then slowly adds it back in, from what i think it does atleast think i read that somewhere. so if you are like at 10dbtdc it is horrible till it dials back in the advance

G

·
Do you really think I am lying about my car? I now own an Si. I put Si stickers on my car, which makes it an Si. The reason I don't list the sticker in my mods is because I don't want anyone to think I am a riceboy.

-----------------------
1999 EBp Civic EX
FMIS intake
dual 12" tips
Koenig VillanZ
36" HiFi projection tach
Street Fyghter body kit
Axel back exhaust
Summit sticker pack
Type R valve cover: for less cam windage
Faux plastic designer replica intercooler
Football whistle on intake to simulate turbo
F/R: Steel wheels with OEM H rated tires/30" Chrome MOMO wheels with Kelly Chargers

·
www.motorists.org
3,047 Posts
There is now a Ford Taurus SES.
Hehe. Service Engine Soon

1 - 20 of 21 Posts